For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Reuben

Re: Missions and patriarchal blessings

Post by Reuben » 06 Jun 2017, 11:51

hawkgrrrl wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 11:35
a dark and benighted people
That's straight up racist. Dude.
You can't call it what it is! That's rude! ;)

Besides, it could mean he's going to serve in France, and possibly baptize the members of a death metal band. (In this interpretation, "dark" means "morbid.")
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Jun 2017, 12:59

hawkgrrrl wrote:
I interpreted it to mean spiritual darkness. Maybe I'm biased.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 06 Jun 2017, 13:40

DarkJedi wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 12:59
hawkgrrrl wrote:
I interpreted it to mean spiritual darkness. Maybe I'm biased.
I think in its original sense, "dark and benighted" referred to spiritual darkness. JS used the phrase in pleading to God in D&C 121, refering to "the devil, and the dark and benighted dominion of Sheol". It's probable that the Patriarch had just been reading in that section and had that phrase in his mind.

JS wasn't the first to use it. It was also used, at least, by a Presbyterian named David Brainerd decades earlier, when he spoke of our ignorance before God, calling us humans, "Dark and benighted and so infinitely vile and ignorant."

With that in mind, I think anyone fits the PB who lives in a foreign land, speaks a foreign language, and lives in a society that is in "spiritual darkness" as defined by the Church. Russia, Haiti, The Netherlands, Taiwan, Nigeria, Korea, Spain, French-speaking Canada, Greece would all fit the bill. So, while I wouldn't call the statement 'racist', I do think it is uncomfortably elitist.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 06 Jun 2017, 15:02

be·night·ed
bəˈnīdəd/Submit
adjective
1. in a state of pitiful or contemptible intellectual or moral ignorance, typically owing to a lack of opportunity.
"they saw themselves as bringers of culture to poor benighted peoples"
That's the way I've always heard benighted used. It's a colonizer's word to describe the savages. Adding "dark" to it, well, yikes. Double yikes. Those poor ignorant brown people speaking non-English.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 06 Jun 2017, 15:33

Plenty of darkness (of the non-melanin variety) and languages other than English in the USA.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Jun 2017, 22:33

So, he will be called to preach repentance to the rich members in Utah. If "dark" is a spiritual condition, it fits. :twisted:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 07 Jun 2017, 08:20

Benighted, literally, "taken over by night" is meant as a spiritual condition in its LDS use.

From the first LDS hymbook and our present hymnal #32, "The Happy Day at Last Has Come": "The gospel trump again is heard. The truth from darkness has appeared. The lands which long benighted lay have now beheld a glorious day."

"Dark and benighted" is just a way to emphasize it. It does not refer to the color of a person's skin.

As I mentioned earlier, "dark and benighted" was used by other religious thinkers before JS to describe the human condition. JS, himself, used the term to refer to the domain of the devil.

John Taylor, during the time when the focus of missionary work was almost entirely the US, Canada, and Western Europe, said, "The light of ages is being revealed to the servants of the Most High, the darkness which has enshrouded the world for ages is being dispersed; and these chosen elders of Israel are sent forth to proclaim these glad tidings of salvation to the dark and benighted nations of the earth."

Taylor also penned the words to our present hymn 327, "Go, Ye Messengers of Heaven", in which he admonished in the opening verse, "Go, ye messengers of heaven, chosen by divine command; go and publish free salvation to a dark, benighted land."

The LDS Church's current "Old Testament Teacher Resource Manual" quotes BRM that during the exodus, a few of Moses' followers saw God, but most of the Israelites "remained in their dark and benighted state."
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 07 Jun 2017, 19:01

Wow I didn't realize that the phrase "dark and benighted" actually comes from the scriptures. It's clear when I read the reference (D&C 121:4) that is does indeed to spiritual darkness and not pigmentation. My BIL has assumed he would probably go to Africa or something, but I'll have to point him to that reference so he can understand the spiritual definition and hopefully won't be as crestfallen if his call doesn't seem to support his current interpretation. I am more of the opinion that PB come from the patriarch more than God, but he is a faithful young soul and I don't want to taint him with my unorthodox views. :crazy:

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 10 Jun 2017, 06:41

DH's blessing bluntly stated that he would serve a foreign mission .. And he was sent to English speaking stateside.

Youngest DD got her PB right before leaving home for college as a 15 year old. She is an Aspergers kiddo who has a life planned out for herself that is not exactly the norm.

Patriarch had done the blessing for our older DD many years before. Seeing him again, I realized that he had decreased in mental functionality enough that I almost canceled the blessing appointment, but didn't want to take away from DD's experience. I should have cancelled. He was released 6 weeks later due to failing health. I assume senile dementia.

Her PB was completely generic. There was an encouragement to serve a mission. The rest of the focus was on getting married, and have babies.

I was annoyed. It also made me go back and read my own PB with a different viewpoint. Instead of looking for how my PB needed to guide my life, I looked to see if there was anything that was truly specific to me. My own PB is very generic .. down to telling me as a woman that I need to become a teacher. It made me feel so sad to realize there was nothing customized to me or my life in my PB.

A newspaper horoscope is just as personal as my PB.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

Joni

Post by Joni » 19 Jun 2017, 15:12

Strange tongue? Dark and benighted people? Is this the Boer Wars? :problem: