59 Percent of Millennials Raised in a Church Have Dropped Out—And They’re Trying to Tell Us Why

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
SamBee

59 Percent of Millennials Raised in a Church Have Dropped Out—And They’re Trying to Tell Us Why

Post by SamBee » 11 May 2017, 07:54

Non-LDS but of interest.

http://faithit.com/12-reasons-millennia ... sam-eaton/
I desperately want to feel this way about church, but I don’t. Not even a little bit. In fact, like much of my generation, I feel the complete opposite.

Turns out I identify more with Maria from The Sound of Music staring out the abbey window, longing to be free.

It seems all-too-often our churches are actually causing more damage than good, and the statistics are showing a staggering number of millennials have taken note.

According to this study (and many others like it) church attendance and impressions of the church are the lowest in recent history, and most drastic among millennials described as 22- to 35-year-olds.

Only 2 in 10 Americans under 30 believe attending a church is important or worthwhile (an all-time low).
59 percent of millennials raised in a church have dropped out.
35 percent of millennials have an anti-church stance, believing the church does more harm than good.
Millennials are the least likely age group of anyone to attend church (by far).
As I sat in our large church’s annual meeting last month, I looked around for anyone in my age bracket. It was a little like a Titanic search party…
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Re: 59 Percent of Millennials Raised in a Church Have Dropped Out—And They’re Trying to Tell Us Why

Post by Roy » 11 May 2017, 09:19

I very much agree with many of the reasons given in this article and some of them seem to apply doubly in the LDS church.

However, as Ray has often pointed out, the LDS church often fares better at retaining its youth than many churches. This may be precisely because we have rejected the consumer driven model of church. When you are trying to attract parishioners based on how your church programs add value to their lives - it can be easy to drift from current consumer tastes and generational gaps. The LDS church does not seem to be trying to attract people so much as present a program that, if true, is vital to your salvation.

Perhaps the LDS church can implement some of these suggestions without seeming to pander to the whims of changing generational expectations. After all, church does not have to be painful to be true.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

ydeve

Re: 59 Percent of Millennials Raised in a Church Have Dropped Out—And They’re Trying to Tell Us Why

Post by ydeve » 11 May 2017, 09:20

I identify with this excerpt so much. To be honest, I see the lds church's rejection of the consumer driven model, or emphasis of "truth" and downplay of "contributing to wellbeing" as greatly increasing the harm it causes.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 11 May 2017, 09:41

I'd like to see our own retention numbers compared with the general numbers quoted in the study in the opening post...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

ydeve

Post by ydeve » 11 May 2017, 10:10

SilentDawning wrote:
11 May 2017, 09:41
I'd like to see our own retention numbers compared with the general numbers quoted in the study in the opening post...
According to mormonleaks, in 2008 the church's activity rate for ysa in North America was 30%.

http://religionnews.com/2016/10/05/leak ... ds-church/

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 11 May 2017, 10:32

I read this when it came out, and as I recall, church retention rates for youth becoming adults used to run around 90%, but now is running 64%.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 May 2017, 11:17

ydeve wrote:
11 May 2017, 10:10
SilentDawning wrote:
11 May 2017, 09:41
According to mormonleaks, in 2008 the church's activity rate for ysa in North America was 30%.

http://religionnews.com/2016/10/05/leak ... ds-church/
It's an incomplete statistic, though. Worldwide only about 35% of all members are active, with higher rates in Utah and much lower rates in SA and Europe. So is this 30% just reflective of the norm for all members? If that's the case, it not news or significant. What would make the stat worthwhile is if it were broken down compared to other age groups, geographic location, and covert as compared to BIC.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

ydeve

Post by ydeve » 11 May 2017, 12:19

DarkJedi wrote:
11 May 2017, 11:17
It's an incomplete statistic, though. Worldwide only about 35% of all members are active, with higher rates in Utah and much lower rates in SA and Europe. So is this 30% just reflective of the norm for all members? If that's the case, it not news or significant. What would make the stat worthwhile is if it were broken down compared to other age groups, geographic location, and covert as compared to BIC.
The real problem is that it doesn't differentiate between children of record and converts. A fair number of ysa didn't grow up in the church.

Assuming we're just looking at rough estimates. You can see that the ysa activity rate is lower than the general membership. How much lower, not so much.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 May 2017, 15:20

I was raised Presbyterian - the youth programs were woeful. Pretty much non-existent after elementary school. Very few mid-week activities. Just an hour or so on Sunday, and Sunday School (which was for kids).

That was many years ago. They are paying for their negligence now.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 May 2017, 15:26

ydeve wrote:
11 May 2017, 09:20
I identify with this excerpt so much. To be honest, I see the lds church's rejection of the consumer driven model, or emphasis of "truth" and downplay of "contributing to wellbeing" as greatly increasing the harm it causes.
I am not a millenial but I can sympathise with some of the points being made.

I think a lot of millenials have a shorter attention span. Mass media is part of this. I have a deal of patience but I don't sit through General Conference anymore.

I think there is also a considerable amount of anti-religious bullying amongst millenials, particularly on social media.