Parasites on the World

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
SamBee

Parasites on the World

Post by SamBee » 03 May 2017, 06:37

I've been doing some gardening recently and my tulips were infested with greenfly which I had to remove. It's a shame, they wreck the flowers, but they are only doing what they are born to.

In my last therapy session, I mentioned the idea that I explored earlier on this forum, that this may be Hell and we are in it. I refuted it using the argument that I see good and beautiful things in the world.

However, she reminded me of another alarming theory... that humans may be parasites on the Earth. Animals or most of the biosphere may be doing just what those insects do to those flowers... we may be the world's bad rash or chiggers.

Quite where this gets us is hard to say but I present it to you. Apologies for being depressing - this is my second grim post in a while.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Re: Parasites on the World

Post by dande48 » 03 May 2017, 07:47

I believe it.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 03 May 2017, 08:55

And I am driving my car today from the remains of algae and plankton that just "did what they did" millions of years ago. I think I remember at one time the seas were green with all the small life forms. But I do agree that we as a species are becoming one of the biggest parasites the world has ever seen. We seem to have the capability in our hands to kill off almost all life (except maybe the cockroaches - nothing totally gets rid of them). Should I post this in the "Thought for the day" thread? :-)

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 03 May 2017, 09:00

funny comic, dande :lol:

The gospel helps us identify as something more special than just mammals on this rock, or parasites to it. We are of divine origin, and the planet was created for us to have a mortal experience, with all that comes along with that... sickness, pain, parasites, disease, etc.

We also have opportunities to use our brain and learn and figure out how to control the parasites from killing our farms/gardens, and in some cases, use them to fight off worse conditions or threats.

And in the Old Testament, sometimes God used them to teach us a lesson. Right?

I wonder if my religious upbringing has limited my view of global warming and "humans are parasites" because I just think it was all designed for us, and not to worry. I guess it is important to remember we must be good stewards of the planet, but I do think there is some peace in believing we are of divine heritage and these other parts of the creation are for our benefit and learning. Sometimes I wonder if it is a false sense of security.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 03 May 2017, 13:04

Sambee,
This is somewhat off topic, but Orson Scott Card - who is LDS - wrote many fictional books about alien species and how humans might interact with them. One of his series of books is about a world with only 3 species that are interdependent on one another. He also explores how different intelligent species might communicate and may conclude that another species is non-intelligent and only good for food, or even simply be annihilated.

Your cartoon reminded me of these books and they may be of interest to you.

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 03 May 2017, 17:41

Humans have the potential to be parasitic to this world, but the biggest difference is self-awareness. We can transcend that and recognize both our potential for good and for harm in this world, and choose the former. (Agency!)

I also think it is a big mistake to read "the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare" in the D&C and take it to mean that there is unlimited resources so we don't have to worry. The truth is that this world has limited resources and we have a responsibility to be good stewards. World hunger and poverty are real and we can help to alleviate that. We can be better than the common parasite by recognizing our potential for good in this world.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 05 May 2017, 08:56

Even if I'm a parasite. I'm looking out for number 1 while I'm here. Hopefully I've been kind to people, and have been kind to the earth as much as I can, since much of what happens on it is out of my control...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 05 May 2017, 09:33

SilentDawning wrote:
05 May 2017, 08:56
Even if I'm a parasite. I'm looking out for number 1 while I'm here. Hopefully I've been kind to people, and have been kind to the earth as much as I can, since much of what happens on it is out of my control...
I agree. I mentioned gardening earlier. I work with nature not against it, when I can. I rarely use chemicals - I've used weedkiller twice in twenty years.

In a Christian context, I prefer the idea of stewardship of the Earth to using and abusing it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."