Are we in Hell?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
UberDan

Re: Are we in Hell?

Post by UberDan » 13 May 2017, 02:06

If you've ever worked in a jail or prison for a career like I do, then it's very understandable to believe that this is Hell. It's simply mind-boggling how "children of God" can behave like animals and do such sick and heinous things to others. It's no wonder the Lord has to burn the Earth prior to the Second Coming.......it's basically FUBAR.
From what I understand, Hell is a literal place where the truly wicked go to suffer for their own sins prior to entering spirit prison. This is for people who have victimized others in very sinful ways (sex offenders, murderers, etc.).

SilentDawning

Re: Are we in Hell?

Post by SilentDawning » 14 May 2017, 19:31

UberDan wrote:
13 May 2017, 02:06
If you've ever worked in a jail or prison for a career like I do, then it's very understandable to believe that this is Hell. It's simply mind-boggling how "children of God" can behave like animals and do such sick and heinous things to others. It's no wonder the Lord has to burn the Earth prior to the Second Coming.......it's basically FUBAR.
From what I understand, Hell is a literal place where the truly wicked go to suffer for their own sins prior to entering spirit prison. This is for people who have victimized others in very sinful ways (sex offenders, murderers, etc.).
My home teacher did time in prison. He told me that he had one inmate who murdered another inmate because the victim inmate took his honey bun. Some end up in solitary confinement for years with only an hour outside per day...

I personally would rather take the death penalty than live like that. In that sense, I believe Hell is on earth for some of us. But there are also many spots that are Zion-like. I have experienced those too....one such experience in my family this evening, for example where everyone was laughing, being themselves, and talking about wholesome experiences and things.

If you look at mormon theology (as I understand it), you have outer darkness at the bottom end, then earth, the telestial kingom, the terrestrial, and the celestial. There was lore going around that the telestial kingdom is a better place than earth. So, that would imply that we are only one step better than outer darkness.

But who knows -- I haven't researched what the telestial kingdom is like. I will say that a place populated by the murderers, rapists and others (entirely) seems like a worse place than where there is a mix of good and evil people. I am undecided about the opening question, but believe there are some pretty hellish places on earth right now.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576