Carrying His Load

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Carrying His Load

Post by Ray DeGraw » 29 Apr 2017, 16:00

I wrote the following blog post back in 2007. I framed it within an orthodox perspective for people who read my personal blog, but it applies figuratively within a heterodox perspective, as well.

I thought of it today, as I was adding a quote to our "Useful Quote of the Day" thread. I hope it helps someone - that the decision to share the link was inspired in some way.

"Carrying His Load" (http://thingsofmysoul.blogspot.com/2007 ... -load.html)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Re: Carrying His Load

Post by mom3 » 29 Apr 2017, 17:34

The other day I was waiting in an airport to fly home. I had just visited family. I sat processing our history and personalities while I waited. I saw some tendencies in me that I hadn't fully noticed before. I am a giver, helper, assister. Not just in a people pleasing way but in a "helping others makes life easier" way. As I examined it closer I saw how maybe I had been collecting other people's stuff. Like if I had a basket, and after every encounter I "took" some of their stuff with me. Well meaning in intent, but not useful to either one of us.

I don't know why I do this. It's second nature to me. But I see that it is one of those unnecessary burdens I have chosen to create.

I think I will try repeating the mantra you suggested or one near to it.
Thanks.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 09 May 2017, 12:38

Please provide some examples as to how this might work for an individual.

It sounds like the responsibilities and duties involved in our church covenants became his "yoke" that we receive in exchange for our earthly pack of burdens.

Suppose an individual was naturally predisposed to loud laughter and that is something that they had been taught was a personal weakness. Would the shame from that "weakness" constitute part of the earthly pack of burdens that should have been left at the Saviors feet. Should that person feel guilt for and work to reduce or eliminate the weakness or embrace that God already paid for it and perhaps work to eliminate it out of gratitude or perhaps a third option that I am not quite seeing?

I see possible parallels with Stephen Robinson's Following Christ or Brad Wilcox's "His Grace is Sufficient" wherein as members of the family of God we are recipients of all the benefits and privileges associated with this family relationship. However, once inside the fold we still "do our chores" (Robinson) or "practice for heaven" (Wilcox). Is that what you were thinking Ray?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 11 May 2017, 05:44

I am short on time right now, but I believe our 2nd Article of Faith teaches grace FAR more expansively than we collectively realize. I think we "have been saved" in a very real way and that our view of atonement should be liberating and empowering of progressive change, not regressive guilt and shame. I think we carry so many burdens unnecessarily.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 May 2017, 06:23

Ray DeGraw wrote:
11 May 2017, 05:44
I am short on time right now, but I believe our 2nd Article of Faith teaches grace FAR more expansively than we collectively realize. I think we "have been saved" in a very real way and that our view of atonement should be liberating and empowering of progressive change, not regressive guilt and shame. I think we carry so many burdens unnecessarily.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction