The modern "Book of Abraham"

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
SamBee

The modern "Book of Abraham"

Post by SamBee » 25 Apr 2017, 02:42

Placed in a wider context, Joseph Smith is not unusual.

Our record of Atlantis comes from the ancieny Greek Plato. He mentions the story as coming from Egypt, but AFAIK, no one has uncovered the ancient Egyptian version, or a reference thereof, in modern times. Plato's Atlantis is very bare bones compared to the many wilder and more detailed stories about the lost continent we have heard in the last few centuries.

"Doreal" should consider using a name which doesn't sound like a hair product. ;)
The Emerald Tablets of Thoth

Literal translation and interpretation of one of the most
ancient and secret of the great works of ancient wisdom.

Translated by Doreal

Preface
Tablet I: The History of Thoth, The Atlantean
Tablet II: The Halls of Amenti
Tablet III: The Key of Wisdom
Tablet IV: The Space Born
Tablet V: The Dweller of Unal
Tablet VI: The Key of Magic
Tablet VII: The Seven Lords
Tablet VIII: The Key of Mysteries
Tablet IX: The Key of Freedom of Space
Tablet X: The Key of Time
Tablet XI: The Key to Above and Below
Tablet XII: The Law of Cause and Effect and The Key of Prophecy
Tablet XIII: The Keys of Life and Death
Supplementary Tablet XIV Atlantis
Supplementary Tablet XV: Secret of Secrets
http://www.crystalinks.com/emerald.html
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Re: The modern "Book of Abraham"

Post by nibbler » 25 Apr 2017, 05:00

It's interesting. Especially the reviews for the book on amazon.

All I know for sure is that if they made a movie they should definitely cast Richard Dean Anderson. :angel:
Of course I don’t want to get knocked down. But the single and sole solution to that fear is to not go anywhere where I can be knocked down. And is that not already being knocked down?
― Craig D. Lounsbrough

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 26 Apr 2017, 11:34

SamBee wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 02:42
"Doreal" should consider using a name which doesn't sound like a hair product. ;)
:lol: that's funny.

Kind of interesting to see these things from others that exist. I like reading them.
SamBee wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 02:42
Literal translation and interpretation of one of the most
ancient and secret of the great works of ancient wisdom.
There is also some who find the "secrets" to be fascinating.

I wonder why that is? If it was ancient wisdom...why hide it?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 26 Apr 2017, 12:41

The mysterious is more fascinating than the mundane. Handshake? No one cares. Secret handshake? Suddenly I've got people's attention. It's the same handshake, the only thing that changed is the label.
Of course I don’t want to get knocked down. But the single and sole solution to that fear is to not go anywhere where I can be knocked down. And is that not already being knocked down?
― Craig D. Lounsbrough

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 26 Apr 2017, 13:35

Too true. Part of me finds the secret whatever interesting, as long as it's not something too sinister!
If it was ancient wisdom...why hide it?
There is the notion in many traditions that one has to be ready for wisdom, or society does. I do understand that.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."