Inspiring Music

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
SamBee

Re: Inspiring Music

Post by SamBee » 26 Apr 2017, 13:55

Heber13 wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 11:39
I don't know why, but I don't find our church hymns inspiring much. I don't know that I have any favorites, as of late, I don't find I sing at church (because I suck and would rather listen to others who know how to do it).

I enjoy classical music on a quiet Sunday morning, but couldn't really name what I'm listening to. I find Collective Soul and Sting inspire me while I hike in the great outdoors.

All of that could change for me.
The problem is that they have been simplified to become easier to play and while that is good for amateur pianists/organists, it drains them of beauty.

Compare this to our version:

https://youtu.be/l5NOVcefEYU
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

mom3

Re: Inspiring Music

Post by mom3 » 28 Apr 2017, 09:53

Sam - Love that. Beautiful.

My friend sent this to me today. Her son-in-law is/was a member of this band. Not as a gorgeous as yours but a pretty uplifting compilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUHcofV1tLo
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman