Inspiring Music

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
DoubtingTom

Inspiring Music

Post by DoubtingTom » 20 Apr 2017, 19:36

I'd like to start a new post where we can share inspirational music. For me, music has been a huge influence in my life, and I'd love to be able to share with each other music that has been impactful in some way.

Whether you call it feeling the spirit, or feeling peace, or just feeling good, my only request when you share is that the song you share made you feel something. Not just songs you like, but songs that made you feel. And if appropriate, maybe share the particular lyrics that spoke to you at that time you felt something. My hope is that I can expand my collection of powerful songs, and how neat would it be to have a collection of songs that meant something important to someone else or made someone else feel something powerful? Maybe in some small way, it would make me feel more connected to all of you.

So with all that, here's a simple song that spoke to me today. I was listening to Regina Spektor's "On the Radio" while driving. I've listened to this song many times, but today when I heard the following lyrics, I felt something powerful that connected with me in that moment:
This is how it works
You're young until you're not
You love until you don't
You try until you can't
You laugh until you cry
You cry until you laugh
And everyone must breathe
Until their dying breath

No, this is how it works
You peer inside yourself
You take the things you like
And try to love the things you took
Those lyrics spoke powerfully to me in that moment. If you haven't heard this song, I encourage you to listen to it (YouTube or Spotify or something).

I hope to hear about some meaningful songs from some of you.

Cheers!

nibbler

Re: Inspiring Music

Post by nibbler » 21 Apr 2017, 05:29

Here's a link to the song you referenced on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAhnJbGy9M
“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”
― Patrick Rothfuss

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”
― Nathaniel Hawthorne

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Apr 2017, 06:37

This first song below is to me, one of the most beautiful songs ever written. I sometimes get tears when I sit back and let it flow into me. The words, even when translated into English don't carry a lot of meaning for me, it's the beauty of the melody and the solos in it that are truly angelic and inspiring.

I have visions, at my funeral someday, of a slide show of the key aspects of my life to this music as a memorial. From birth to death..showing me in the various activities I latched onto, my aging, my family growing up, my wife and I aging together, my service, etcetera... Who knows if anyone will do it...

But it shows how beautiful the song is...let it build...it starts slow...with low intensity and then climbs and climbs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVxhyeaG87w

This one brought me to tears particularly his last note and hand gestures. It's a prayer of a father for a man who is in danger, that his daughter loves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYnhVITf9E

Or this one by a South Korean singer wishing happiness and advice to a man she loves, who chose another woman over her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNHN14yKQVM

I have just laid my greatest pearls before you, as music is very important to me...Listen to all three and see if you can get through them without shedding a tear or feeling uplifted. They invoke the same feelings as "feeling the Spirit" in me.

This next one is just beautiful -- a relaxing journey. My feelings come from the admiration of the musicianship it took to write it, and carry related themes to peaks and valleys and tension and release...not a real feeler for me, but one that brings me happiness...check the comments below the video on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9LXJUMGfBg
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 22 Apr 2017, 07:55

My first entry is an entire album. A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park. Based on radio play I didn't like Linkin Park, not at all, but I was starting to get bored with the music I was listening to and Rick Rubin produced the album so I figured I'd give it a listen. A Thousand Suns became a part of the soundtrack of my faith transition. It has themes of disillusionment, anger, letting go of anger, rebuilding, revisiting, etc.

The whole album is worth a listen but if I had to single out a few songs:
Waiting For The End
Iridescent
The Messenger

Other songs:
Abide With Me, bagpipes
Clair de Lune - Debussy
“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”
― Patrick Rothfuss

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”
― Nathaniel Hawthorne

Roy

Post by Roy » 22 Apr 2017, 19:39

In my crisis, the most terrifying possibility was that I might not have been good enough to fulfill my end of the covenant, That God didn't love me because of my deficiency and was not "bound" to do anything for me, and finally that I had nobody to blame but myself for my unloved and unwanted state.

A concept emerged from deep inside of me of God's unconditional love for me. The following songs really resonate with this concept.

I love you more than the sun
And the stars that I taught how to shine
You are mine, and you shine for me too
“More” by Matthew West

So search your heart, you'll find me there
I've heard your anguish, and every prayer
My love for you, will never end-
You're still my servant, still my friend
"Still My Servant, Still My Friend" By Brett Raymond

Then he heard a voice somewhere deep inside
And it said “I know you’ve murdered
And I know you’ve lied
And I've watched you suffer all of your life
And now that you'll listen I'll, I'll tell you that I...”
I will love you for you
Not for what you have done or what you will become
I will love you for you
I will give you the love, the love that you never knew
“What love really means” By JJ Heller
I have since found this re-conception of God to sometimes be at odds with LDS thoughts and motivations. My conception of God is mine alone but I do believe that “He” loves us each fully, deeply, and without conditions. Perhaps, as Elder Maxwell described, my imperfect lens can “produce refractions as the pure light of the gospel plays upon” it. I hope that someone can find my refraction of God’s pure love helpful.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Apr 2017, 11:16

Here are two threads about inspiring hymns and other songs:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3653

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1442
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 23 Apr 2017, 17:45

Way too many to sort through - but I am seconding Claire de Lune. I am a huge classical music geek.

The rest of my list is probably on the threads Ray posted.

Today we sung "How Great Thou Art" and I was thrilled.

I also get a kick out of snappy jingles. No joke! The old Dr. Pepper diddy was perfect to hum on a dark day. "I'm a pepper. She's a pepper. He's a pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too? Be a pepper. Drink Dr. Pepper."

Or "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony. Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves. I'd like to buy the world a coke and keep it company. It's the real thing, Coke, what the world wants today. It's the real thing."

Must be a latent WoW issue in me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Apr 2017, 20:39

Piano Guys - Serious musical crush happening there. Their version of "Fight Song" is stunning. (mash-up of Fight Song and Amazing Grace, with a spirit-tingling use of bagpipes at the end)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mOO5qRjVFLw
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 25 Apr 2017, 02:51

I visited an RC church and we sang "Thine be the Glory". I hadn't sung it in years and we don't have it in the LDS AFAIK, which I think is a loss. (Maybe Handel's tune would be correlated and simplified...) But it was good to hear it again.

https://youtu.be/lXzmjNE-yLA

I find this very moving too. "Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ" by Bach.
https://youtu.be/apvgFZCSeQY

I can't help but listen to pieces of music like this and wonder about how western civilisation has actually regressed in cultural terms.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 26 Apr 2017, 11:39

I don't know why, but I don't find our church hymns inspiring much. I don't know that I have any favorites, as of late, I don't find I sing at church (because I suck and would rather listen to others who know how to do it).

I enjoy classical music on a quiet Sunday morning, but couldn't really name what I'm listening to. I find Collective Soul and Sting inspire me while I hike in the great outdoors.

All of that could change for me.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."