Making and Keeping Covenants

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
professionalmom

Re: Making and Keeping Covenants

Post by professionalmom » 10 Sep 2009, 16:42

As always I am blown away by the kind and thoughtful responses I receive from all of you. You help me think of things in new and more meaningful ways. Thank you.
"The path that is best for you is the path that keeps the best of you in play."

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 11 Sep 2009, 07:23

Heber13 wrote:...but now I believe the basis that I made the covenants under was based on a lot of things that are more complex than I thought before were simple and straight forward and just the way it was done for everyone since Adam's day. So, do the covenants still apply to me now when I made them under a different understanding? I hold on to them and tell myself I made the covenants so I am bound by them, but I also have a new way of looking at them and reconciling their meaning.
I too have pondered that same line of thinking so many times I can't count anymore.

My perspective has changed many times on the history and meaning of the temple, but i've decided that the essence of the covenants are solid, basic ideas of holiness. By that, I mean I still believe in those ideals. I want to obey God, even as I work on clarifying my understanding of what that means. I want to sacrifice to build His kingdom on earth. I feel like I am on the same team as God, that we are friends now. I like that idea. I want the world to be a beautiful and peaceful place. I want to leave the world a better place than I found it. Chastity is a good moral ideal. All the covenants are good ideals to work towards.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Sep 2009, 10:36

I think there is a great value in the concept of making and keeping promises - and that there is even greater value in doing so with regard to things a person views as sacred.

I see a dichotomy between those who understand promise / covenant making and those who don't - and between those who sense or recognize "the sacred" and those who don't. I think the details are FAR less important than the concept - and I believe strongly that too many people obsess over the details and don't learn the concept on an individual basis.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken