Pain, hope, and a prayer in Westminster

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Reuben

Pain, hope, and a prayer in Westminster

Post by Reuben » 06 Apr 2017, 14:12

My travels today took me to the site of the terror attack of two weeks ago on Westminster Bridge. Briefly, Khalid Masood drove his car into pedestrians on the bridge, killing 3 and wounding 50, exited his car at the houses of Parliament, fatally stabbed an unarmed officer, and was shot dead by an armed officer, all within the span of 82 seconds.

It's amazing how the city and its religious communities have pulled together in the wake of the attack. I want to highlight one instance I saw the results of today. Three days after the attack, on the 25th of March, bouquets of flowers began to appear on a strip of lawn in Parliament Square, across the road from the houses of Parliament. Many of the bouquets are accompanied by handwritten notes, and some by poster-sized signs, all expressing love, hope and courage. In the place tourists normally stand to take vacation photos with Big Ben in the background, there's a fitting tribute to the victims and to the city that rallied to their aid, presided over by statuary of the world's greatest and most compassionate leaders.

A photo can't really do justice to the solidarity expressed by thousands, but here's an attempt:

http://m.imgur.com/JwF6psW

Standing quietly opposite an adjoining edge of Parliament Square is the imposing form of Westminster Abbey, the old Gothic cathedral where England's monarchs are crowned and its royals are wed, and the country mourns the loss of its rulers. It's fair to say that this is the most important religious site in England, so it was with great interest that I read the prayer chiseled into stone near the west side entrance. What plea could be important enough to make so permanent in the base of the cathedral's cross?

http://m.imgur.com/Lj93G7e
May God grant to the living, grace; to the departed, rest; to the Church & the World, peace and concord; and to us sinners, eternal life.
A plea for harmony and forgiveness is especially appropriate in the wake of the attack.

One of the greatest things about Christianity is how it equalizes us. All have fallen short. All need forgiveness. Whatever was going through Khalid Masood's mind, he was, like the rest of us, the fatally flawed hero of his own story, and just as deserving of mercy.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

LookingHard

Re: Pain, hope, and a prayer in Westminster

Post by LookingHard » 06 Apr 2017, 17:00

Thanks for sharing.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 06 Apr 2017, 21:34

Reuben - Thank you. Beautiful.

One of these days I pray we all will remember these days of healing and keep it going long after the tragedies have stopped.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Apr 2017, 03:32

One of the victims was a church member BTW.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2017, 09:42

Beautiful.

Thank you.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 08 Apr 2017, 07:13

This sounds like the Pulse Shooting that happened in Orlando, Florida. An extremist of the Muslim persuasion went into the Pulse gay bar and killed 50 people with a gun, and then was taken out himself.

I was visiting that area and the site is covered in Art, flowers, banners -- all commemorating the pulse shooting. Around town, some roadside utility boxes are covered in rainbows and the words "You Matter". One says "you mattered", past tense, which I didn't like, because those people still matter.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576