Daughter of a King? Hmmm.

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Daughter of a King? Hmmm.

Post by mom3 » 20 Mar 2017, 16:53

A relative of mine posted this picture on Facebook. Beneath it she wrote "Daughter of ..." Then left it open for comments. The obvious answer being a King. The picture is delightful. The idea an inspiring one at various times. But I've changed. And last night the "Daughter of a King" phrase felt hollow.

The tug that has been a faith transition has put me on a different level with God. He may not feel it, but I do. He is still an overwhelming part of my life. I have always prayed, but now I seek Him differently. When I pray, I talk, I thank, I throw out suppositions, I glory, and I ache. Not that I didn't before, but rote of past is gone. My prayers are no longer formulaic. Neither is my life. Neither is He.

He and I are gritty now. No fancy crowns, no marbled thrones, no white, glossy, illuminated anything. My hands are blistered. So are his. When I cry out and I don't hear from Him, I figure He is somewhere deeper and darker than I am at the moment.

I am a daughter of the Divine (you pick how that works for you). But neither of us are the radiant souls I imagined us to be. Funny thing, I like us both better this way.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Always Thinking

Re: Daughter of a King? Hmmm.

Post by Always Thinking » 20 Mar 2017, 18:18

Sounds like your new relationship is more like a realistic close father-daughter (or maybe even friend to friend) relationship than the king-servant relationship it used it be. When I think about it, sometimes the old way of praying felt like I was going through a drive-thru, requesting what I want and saying thanks for the meal I received.
I know I definitely feel closer to God when I just talk out loud to Him about things that have been on my mind lately, like he's a normal person. I know part of it is being able to process my thoughts when I say them out loud while I'm alone, but it is also comforting for whatever other reason.
Eta: that sure is a beautiful drawing, though!

Roy

Post by Roy » 21 Mar 2017, 11:04

I suppose if people like the idea then more power to them. I think the most positive outcome is that girls and young women can develop more positive self esteem by tying their own self worth to their divine parentage.

I suppose one of the things missing from this is a positive female role model. Being the daughter of a king makes you a princess. Historically, princesses were not given power or authority.

What does a strong and capable daughter of a king do?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Mar 2017, 05:45

So, respond with "a queen". :D

What Mormon is going to argue with that?
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Mar 2017, 06:28

That was actually my first thought, Ray. I realize we are not kings and queens, but many of us are anointed to become kings and queens. Doesn't that make us princesses and princes? (It's like the iced tea not being a hot drink thing - but I would be more likely to say my wife is a princess and why in public.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 22 Mar 2017, 10:18

I am thinking about "The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" in this regard. The sons of Adam and the daughters of Eve become co-rulers. There seems to be a sense of equality among them.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 22 Mar 2017, 19:16

Funny, I completed that sentence with "No One" and it gives me peace to say that. I like thinking of myself as someone in a different time zone than other deities, but possessive of power and strength nonetheless. Paradoxically, thinking of myself as an entity unto my self allows me a broader sense of community because I (and we) participate through choice. Willingness to embark is a value I hold dearly, so it gives me a lot of peace to think that the people who surround me and who I help surround are all there because we chose to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 23 Mar 2017, 13:19

From the title all I could think about is how royalty doesn't have the appeal that it used to. My image of kings is that they were more often tyrants than not. Everyone seemed to believe the royal family was somehow at a higher level than the rest of humanity, back in the old days, but I think we should be so far beyond that by now.

...yet I don't know how to illustrate the idea of reaching for the higher level. We should reach for more than the common "eye for an eye" mentality. There are too many thugs in the world, how do we elevate?
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 23 Mar 2017, 14:02

Amen to so many comments here.

In former years and dark hours the idea that I was connected to something Divine, like God, was a boost. Because of that memory I get the connection - but something more tangible yearns to replace the old comparison. Orson your questions come closest to my wonderings.

I volunteer at a Homeless Shelter. For 5 months out of the year I am face to face with people who live on the streets or in their cars. They are God's children, too. Their only goal in life is often shelter from the storm. A 5 min hot shower, hopefully food enough to calm a starving belly, and a mat on a church gymnasium floor. Too many obstacles stand in their way for life to be much more than that. This morning I handed a 2 year old toe headed little girl 2 brown bag lunches. One for her and one for Mom. The lunch seemed lame and necessary at the same time.

It is in those moments that the glorious, glowing God of my teens, steps out of His eminence, and becomes something less glossy. His Divinity changes. I see a weary King. In brown robes, blistered hands, calloused knees, and feet. And I find I am so far from that. I cherish my glossiness. I yearn for eminence. All the while he yearns to love.

And Her - Heavenly Mother. Her heart breaks. If our concept is even close, these are her babies. Her offspring that she sent down with every mother's wish and prayer for success, delight, fulfillment, and joy. She wears no crown or silken clothes. Her sleeves are rolled up, her eyes rimmed with tired dark circles. "A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more."

I can't explain it more than this. It's changed forever. And I hope in me, for the good.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 23 Mar 2017, 14:54

Beautiful. Thank you for your insight.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.