How can we do good?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
nibbler

Re: How can we do good?

Post by nibbler » 15 Mar 2017, 07:01

Some days I make the world a better place by sequestering myself in my cave and not attempting to interact with anyone. :P
“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”
― Patrick Rothfuss

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”
― Nathaniel Hawthorne

Ann

Post by Ann » 15 Mar 2017, 09:53

I like the verse in Jacob - "familiar with all and free with your substance."

Contemplating exactly what familiarity and substance (money, but also more than money) are has been helpful.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 21 Apr 2017, 09:25

I want to do some bragging about my nephew & his family. This is an example of doing good to the extreme. I couldn't do it.
They are not in the LDS church. I'm proud to be his Uncle. (Uncle Minyan Man)

http://www.hngnews.com/milton_courier/a ... c499c.html

The girls should be coming this summer permanently. It has been an interesting process to watch from a distance.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 21 Apr 2017, 11:32

Really cool...MM
Open Hearts and Homes for Children, a Maryland-based group, works primarily with Ukrainian orphans. After reading about their need, and talking with Aaron, the couple was invested: “we felt a calling in our hearts to go in that direction,” Gretchen said.
I like this :thumbup:
Ann wrote:Contemplating exactly what familiarity and substance (money, but also more than money) are has been helpful.
I agree, Ann. Like! :thumbup:
nibbler wrote:The focus is others, not self
I totally agree, nibbler. This is surely at the heart of it. the "WHAT" it is may not be as important as just the focus to others. Trying to assume we can know what others may need can be hard, but just asking, just focusing on them...that alone is good.
On Own Now wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 21:30
Instead, he made a fuss over her. He talked about what a beautiful and fun child she was. "She reminds me of my granddaughter." He talked to her and to her parents and enjoyed a good meal.
This is a good example. :thumbup:
mom3 wrote:
13 Mar 2017, 20:02
I began keeping an accomplishments journal/notebook. Every day before I go to bed I list all the accomplishments I can remember. Just a list. If I feel a need for more, I add a few words.
:thumbup: You're a good person. Like it.
SamBee wrote:
13 Mar 2017, 18:24
I hope we can get something constructive out of this thread. It is such a basic philosophical question but a necessary one.
Nice example of starting something good to benefit us all. Like it!! :thumbup:
LookingHard wrote:
13 Mar 2017, 06:39
I keep a set of $10 Macdonald's gift cards and give them out.
I like this idea...this is a good thing, I think. :thumbup:
SilentDawning wrote:
13 Mar 2017, 06:23
The worlds needs are limitless, so determine something you are really passionate about, and do that.
I agree with SD.
Minyan Man wrote:I said that I've found that no matter what problem I have in life, it's always better to talk it over with someone you trust than to deal with it on your own. I then said if you want someone to talk with, let me know.
THis is a great example. Like it! :thumbup:

I do think it takes some faith. You don't always know what will lead to a good outcome, but you follow your heart to try to reach out and ease the burden of others.

For our family, we used a Family Home Evening to build 12 gift packs. These included gloves, hats, toothbrush, toothpaste, some snacks and cookies and bandaids and Ibuprofen and a flashlight and some other things like that. We each put some packs in the our cars. When we saw those beggers by the road with their cardboard signs...we would pass them a pack of "kindness bags" we hoped they would use. I don't know if it did any good, I don't know if when they thanked us if they were genuine or just being beggers thankful for anything but hoping for money and by being polite hoping for a little more. I guess it helped us some feeling good we tried to do something. It is hard to know for sure if it helped, but we tried something.

I guess that is where faith comes in. You make a stab at doing something you think will help others. I see a lot of people in our communities doing this. Recently I read this:
When researchers at the London School of Economics examined the relationship between volunteering and measures of happiness in a large group of American adults, they found the more people volunteered, the happier they were. With busy lives, it can be hard to find time to volunteer. However, the benefits of volunteering can impact you, your family, and your community. The right match can help you to reduce stress, find friends, reach out to the community, and learn new skills.
Thanks for starting the thread, SamBee.

To you comments in the OP:
I do some good things but they are undone to some extent by the bad I do.
...all the more reason why doing some small little acts of kindness thoughout the day is needed...we have the bad things we do...we need to keep trying to balance it out with the good we can try to do.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 21 Apr 2017, 11:49

Thanks, I'm glad people have appreciated this thread. :thumbup:

I struggle to "choose the right" in life sometimes, but I think if we completely succumb to unkindness, it has a ripple effect. It is something we should aim for.

I look over the last month or so, and see a big mixture of good and bad. I wish there was more good. I think I have achieved something. I have helped some friends mend their marriage, encouraged another to finish their novel... but then again there's been all the arguing, fighting and stress... urgh!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 21 Apr 2017, 11:54

SamBee wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 11:49
I look over the last month or so, and see a big mixture of good and bad. I wish there was more good. I think I have achieved something. I have helped some friends mend their marriage, encouraged another to finish their novel... but then again there's been all the arguing, fighting and stress... urgh!
"urgh" is right.

Sometimes it seems, like many other things in life, that unattended to, or without effort...the inertia in this life will bring things to a state of arguing, fighting, and stress.

It is actually a fight for creating the good and happiness we want in this life. It doesn't just come to us. We have to fight for it.

Fight the good fight! I think it is worth it, because then we can have some in our life. Even if we will always be rebuffed and humbled to realize how insignificant and irrelevant we are in the universe...if I can stay in the moment...for right here, right now...I can try to do some little bit of good and find some happiness because of it.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 21 Apr 2017, 18:56

I was talking to a good atheist friend today. He is one of the kindest, thoughtful, and insightful people I know. Interestingly, we were talking about this topic and he related to me something he heard at a Catholic mass he went to with his wife. The priest said, "When you get to the pearly gates, God's going to ask - 'Did you have fun?' And more importantly, 'Did you make the world a place where others could have fun?' "

Now this was a little tongue in cheek, of course, but my friend and I both liked the core message. This is not hedonism we're talking about here, but try to enjoy this wonderful world we have and the beautiful gift of life. Have fun! And more importantly, along the way, try to help facilitate so others can have fun and enjoy this place too.

In my book, do those two things and you're doing "good". :clap:

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 26 Apr 2017, 11:48

DoubtingTom wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 18:56
Have fun! And more importantly, along the way, try to help facilitate so others can have fun and enjoy this place too.
Amen!

I think I read that in the book of DoubtingTom Chapter 3:12...so says DT!! ;)