Testimony without "I know"

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
DarkJedi

Testimony without "I know"

Post by DarkJedi » 07 Mar 2017, 14:57

In yesterday's email my young Padawan who is a missionary told me he is trying to eliminate "I know" from his testimony bearing. He explained a little bit of why and I affirmed that I don't use the term either and shared that sometimes in place of it I say "I believe" or "I hope." and sometimes "It is my testimony that...." I also tried to briefly explain how I use what I call "statement testimony" in phrases like "God loves us" or "Jesus lives." Those are a bit harder to explain out of context. Anyway, I told him I'd respond further in next week's email and I got thinking about the subject. I'm looking for input. How do you bear testimony without using the "I know" phrase?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Re: Testimony without "I know"

Post by mom3 » 07 Mar 2017, 15:05

"It's been my experience that ...."

"I realized the other day ...."

"While I was reading I"

"I have found for me."

"I have a firm conviction/belief that Service or Loving Others is the key to "
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 07 Mar 2017, 15:08

In the exact same way I would if I used "I know" - but I also feel comfortable saying "I know" about some things, especially Gospel principles like love, service, compassion, mercy, humility, diversity, etc.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 07 Mar 2017, 17:07

I did it last Sunday. I think a testimony can simply be a story. I told how the BoM altered my thinking entirely about how I live my life with the scripture on how men are that they might have joy. That following that counsel -- of making potential joy production the filter through which everything passes -- what to keep and throw away in my personal belongings, to where to commit my time. And that I have been happier in the last three years than ever before by following that filtration method.

I didn't say "I know it's true". I don't know for sure it is anymore. I think parts of it are brilliant and worthy of living my life by. And so that is my testimony.

In stayingLDS, I think it's powerful to constantly recognize the good in our religion. This is where common ground exists, and makes us capable of testifying about it.

But I found I could only do this after I liberated myself from conventional Mormonism. I had to find my own place in the world, and put the LDS Church in a place where it could enhance my life's happiness, not detract from it. Only then did I feel I could "testify" about aspects of it.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 08 Mar 2017, 13:43

SilentDawning wrote:In stayingLDS, I think it's powerful to constantly recognize the good in our religion. This is where common ground exists, and makes us capable of testifying about it.
Good point.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 08 Mar 2017, 15:21

SD - This needs to be a tag line somewhere.
In stayingLDS, I think it's powerful to constantly recognize the good in our religion. This is where common ground exists, and makes us capable of testifying about it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 Mar 2017, 18:20

"I know" was eliminated from my testimony years ago. Instead I focus on positive aspects of the church and gospel.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."