We can embrace diversity

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Heber13
Site Admin

We can embrace diversity

Post by Heber13 » 15 Feb 2017, 18:44

https://www.lds.org/blog/we-dont-have-t ... xLIDyL2-2_

This person who blogged on lds.org gets it!

I may start using AND a lot more in church discussions.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Re: We can embrace diversity

Post by mom3 » 15 Feb 2017, 20:10

Keeping. So much good in here. Thanks.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 15 Feb 2017, 21:19

I liked the quote by Pres Uchtdorf:
“While the Atonement is meant to help us all become more like Christ, it is not meant to make us all the same. … We can even make the mistake of thinking that because someone is different from us, it must mean they are not pleasing to God.”

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 18 Feb 2017, 18:47

Love this.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken