My Latest Favorite Anthem

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Ann

Re: My Latest Favorite Anthem

Post by Ann » 16 Feb 2017, 02:55

Minyan Man wrote:A question: can a ward choir director go ahead and use it in a sacrament meeting?
Hope so!

In my experience it all depends on the working relationships between the bishop and the ward music chairperson and choir director. How much trust and latitude does the bishop give, how much musical tastes align, etc. And what your choir enjoys.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Feb 2017, 09:53

What are the rules about hymns not in the current book? I was at a wedding where they sang "Jerusalem", and there are a number of decent LDS hymns which are not in the book but not offensive or containing obsolete doctrine.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

lucysmack

Post by lucysmack » 16 Feb 2017, 13:23

ohh, I loved that! Thanks for sharing.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Feb 2017, 18:44

Great song.

Ward choirs can sing whatever they want to sing - as long as the Choir Director doesn't ask for permission all the time (and Ian willing to be released if the choice is especially . . . Interesting. :P

Seriously, sometimes we simply ask too many questions. Pres. Kimball said, "Just do it" - so my defense would be that I was following the Prophet. :lol:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken