Light The World

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Light The World

Post by mom3 » 25 Nov 2016, 23:35

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42326701&nid=1016

Light the World - This is so us. Have a blast.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Re: Light The World

Post by DarkJedi » 26 Nov 2016, 07:28

I do like the video. My first reaction was that it was not quite as emotionally engaging as previous ones. But when I watched it a second time and really paid attention, I like the message.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 26 Nov 2016, 07:40

It is good. I don't want to discourage anyone doing service as it is good for both the giver and receiver. I do worry that it could add guilt to some already over-packed holiday schedules then forgotten once the season is over. Maybe I am just voicing what I am concerned *I* will do. But good video.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 26 Nov 2016, 11:24

I don't want to discourage anyone doing service as it is good for both the giver and receiver. I do worry that it could add guilt to some already over-packed holiday schedules then forgotten once the season is over. Maybe I am just voicing what I am concerned *I* will do. But good video.
I so hear you LH. I was relieved when it stated they didn't want some big planned project. Our ward is tacking our own project (planned before the video) to the ward Christmas dinner. What I liked was the idea of just doing things like holding a door for someone, stuff like that. Small, everyday stuff. That was what grabbed me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 26 Nov 2016, 13:18

mom3 wrote:
I don't want to discourage anyone doing service as it is good for both the giver and receiver. I do worry that it could add guilt to some already over-packed holiday schedules then forgotten once the season is over. Maybe I am just voicing what I am concerned *I* will do. But good video.
I so hear you LH. I was relieved when it stated they didn't want some big planned project. Our ward is tacking our own project (planned before the video) to the ward Christmas dinner. What I liked was the idea of just doing things like holding a door for someone, stuff like that. Small, everyday stuff. That was what grabbed me.
I agree also LH and Mom. I think making it "program" lessens the whole thing. Granted I am generally anti-program, especially related to the church, but I think the point is that people do it on their own because they want to not because it's some sponsored event. And I agree about the guilt.

To put it in perspective for those who don't know, there's more to the page than just the video, there are also daily "ideas" on how to serve. https://www.mormon.org/?cid=HP_FR_25-11 ... xLIDyL1-A_ I do like that it's sort of an Advent calendar, though.

Our ward also has an annual service project but it's not related to this initiative.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 27 Nov 2016, 14:46

They must have been listening mom3. They showed this video at the end of our sacrament meeting... but undid some of the goodwill during Sunday School. :crazy: :(

I love the message. It's very much in harmony with how I view the gospel these days. I also think that issuing the challenge takes away from the overall message but for years I've been taught at church that a lesson is a "waste of time" if you let someone walk away feeling good about things and don't seize on the opportunity to extend an invitation. It's how things at church are wired. It's an expected part of the program. The youth even got a December calendar with a "do this on this day" 25 day checklist.

It's still a good message. I think most people watching would have come away with introspective thoughts regardless of including the invitation at the end.

Programs... I better stop there. :silent:
I am.
- Vision

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Nov 2016, 17:42

Even though we have done this similar project every year for the past few years in our ward, today when it was announced in SM it was tied to "25 ways over 25 days." It made me a little sad, actually. :cry:

SM was good, though, good speakers on forgiveness and a favorite rest hymn (All Creatures of Our God and King).
They showed this video at the end of our sacrament meeting...
Like after the meeting was over or as part of the meeting?

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 28 Nov 2016, 05:12

DarkJedi wrote:Like after the meeting was over or as part of the meeting?
They told everyone to stay in their seats after SM is over so we could watch the video, like when they hand out flowers on Mother's Day.
I am.
- Vision

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Nov 2016, 06:03

I love the idea and the video.

The missionaries want to I troduce and talk about I think with all the members. I'm not excited about that approach, since I think it will add pressure to what is a great idea in and of itself. I'm thinking of telling them thanks but no thanks - but I also don't want to dampen it for them. I really like the missionaries we have in our ward.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 30 Nov 2016, 08:53

We had out HT's over on Sunday and they showed the video.

I really liked it. Even though I have no belief in a divine Jesus, the message I though was really powerful: that regardless of our circumstance we can help others, brighten their day, help with their burdens. Good stuff.

The part that annoys me is when my ward creates a FB page and Instagram account to "show" how we are being a Light to the World; just sort of seems to defeat the purpose to me, and then it makes it seem that these messages and videos are just gimmicky missionary programs, which I despise.

I'll try to live the message this holiday season, and leave it at that.