Bushman in "The Meaning of Life"

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Ann

Bushman in "The Meaning of Life"

Post by Ann » 29 Oct 2016, 12:42

Bushman is one of hundreds quoted in a LIFE picture book I picked up. It's the explanation we know by heart with a tidbit at the end I hadn't heard before.
Life on earth is an episode in a story, one that began before we were born. According to our Scriptures, we all lived as spirits with our Heavenly Father before the earth was formed. His purpose was to teach His children to become like Him and give them eternal life. But in heaven we could not learn all we needed to know, and so we left God and came to earth, where we experience good and evil for ourselves in preparation for returning to live with Him. Whenever Mormons run into suffering, confusion and defeat, they go back to this story to regain perspective. It reminds us that the point of earth life is to learn to choose the good on our own, amidst temptation, fear and uncertainty, and that God is there to help us through our trials.

Through the inescapable suffering, cruelty and injustice of human life, this story of our spiritual origins seems to enable Mormons to rise above despair. The story teaches us that our very purpose in being here is to meet with evil - and with God's help to overcome it. In my experience these beliefs make people work hard at doing good, even against unfavorable odds. Mormons have a blithe confidence that by pulling together we can accomplish almost anything. That was how Brigham Young felt when he told the early Mormons that they need not worry about the accusation that they would go to hell. If we do end up there, he said, we will get organized and turn it into heaven.
For him it was all about sticking together. It has appeal. But it just can't be top of the list anymore for so many. Different times. (Or not? I don't know anymore.)
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

GBSmith

Re: Bushman in "The Meaning of Life"

Post by GBSmith » 29 Oct 2016, 19:18

When it's reduced to it's simplest, I'd agree that facing mortality is a little easier given the perspective of the PoS. But when you consider the barnacles like polygamy, the POX, JS's wives, the BoA, patriarchy, the temple, etc. It can all get a little clouded. It's hard to pull together when you don't feel like you fit anymore.

Heber13

Re: Bushman in "The Meaning of Life"

Post by Heber13 » 29 Oct 2016, 21:38

Oh, man...now I've got Saturdays Warriors stuck in my head..."pulling together we can work it out...without a doubt...we can work it out!"

There is strength in numbers, especially in times of struggle and unclear vision.

When we don't feel we fit in, we can still stay and find others who feel that way also, and hope the ship turns if we are patient. Sticking together doesn't require all of one thought. That would be nice, but differences can still stick together and balance each other out. Can't they?

Diversity can strengthen the group.

I'm not sure I share BY'S optimism we can transform he'll into heaven with sheer determination, however. There are limits.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."