I have a question.

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: I have a question.

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Oct 2016, 10:33

I agree, Ann.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 28 Oct 2016, 16:34

I wish that JS (or other prophets / leaders) could of made a clearer explanation of the necessity of polygamy (& polyandry).
The reality is they didn't. It is not enough to say that it is a revelation from God. At least for me. I've tried to make the issue as
basic as possible. And I only come up with more questions. For example,
- is it possible for a man or woman to love multiple people without breaking the 7th commandment? thou shalt not commit adultery.
- or, when you speak of love between multiple people, it is eventually is carnal?

The bottom line for me is, we will never really understand this topic completely. Individually we have to come to our own
conclusion. My conclusion is: as I stated in the beginning: this is a dangerous concept. We could easily justify any indiscretion & break all
the commandments in the process.

Post by Heber13 » 28 Oct 2016, 18:30

I don't think they can explain what they don't know. I honestly think that with faith matters...they are moving forward assuming God is guiding them or will tell them to stop. They are figuring it out step by step, not in perfect light and perfect knowledge, but one step in a direction although they can't see it exactly clear enough to explain it.

Just like right now they can't really explain the homosexual policy.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."