The Most Powerful of All

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
MWallace57

The Most Powerful of All

Post by MWallace57 » 15 Aug 2009, 17:50

I am thinking of one experience, perhaps one of the most powerful experiences of my life.

His voice was quiet. He had survived cancer of the larynx which destroyed much of the speech of his youth. Barley able to speak, he was the most powerful spokesperson for the Lord.
(It is odd how many prophets have nearly lost their voices).

I was on my mission at Penn State University, the year was 1980. We had a Zone Conference and our Mission President conveyed a message from President Spencer W. Kimball.
"Tell the young folk to repent, tell them to start living the law of chastity, please, please tell them, warn them - if they do not repent now, there will not be time to repent, tell them, tell them, please, please."

We drove home in the District Leaders car and started to talk. Maybe Christ was soon to return and those that had not repented would not be ready. Why was President Kimball so urgent. I worked hard for the next six months and was released to fly home early 1981. The first case of HIV - AIDS reached American shores in 1981.

jeriboy

Re: The Most Powerful of All

Post by jeriboy » 15 Aug 2009, 19:43

M Wallace 57 said... I worked hard for the next six months and was released to fly home early 1981. The first case of HIV - AIDS reached American shores in 1981.

Hope this is a proper question. Over twenty years ago I read in a science magazine that aids was started with africans eating monkeys. Since that time I have heard many other accounts of how it got started. The moral for me is, it is hard to get the truth about anything on this strange world. With truth being so hard to come by, I think we ought to question our questioning, especially where our eternal future is concerned. That's one reason I do thank you guys for stretching this dab of gray matter, you are all getting to be a mind altering experience.

Bill Atkinson

Post by Bill Atkinson » 17 Aug 2009, 07:50

That is a great testimony MWallace and I really appreciate reading it. To keep us anchored, however, this link to Wikipedia on the orign of aids looks to be quite sound: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_AIDS . You are right jeriboy, the "hunter" hypothesis seems to be the favored one however it wasn't the eating of the meat of the chimps but either the chimp biting a hunter or a hunter with cuts in his hands getting infected while butchering and cutting up the meat. In fact it was probably not just a single hunter but a number of them.

The article points out that HIV was probably in the US population by the 1960s but because of the long time that it can go without showing it wasn't known. Supporting your wonderful story MWallace is this quote from the article:
The AIDS epidemic officially began on June 5, 1981, when the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report newsletter reported unusual clusters of Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) caused by a form of Pneumocystis carinii (now recognized as a distinct species Pneumocystis jirovecii) in five homosexual men in Los Angeles.[32]
Over the next 18 months, more PCP clusters were discovered among otherwise healthy men in cities throughout the country, along with other opportunistic diseases (such as Kaposi's sarcoma[33] and persistent, generalized lymphadenopathy[34]), common in immunosuppressed patients.
President Hinkley came up to Prince George, B.C. as part of one tour and met with the Saints. We completely filled up a big hockey arena (coming from all over northern BC and even a few from the Yukon, a big event in our Church lives), it remains as one of my testimonies of the gospel, the Spirit was very strong and I know without any question that President Hinkley was a prophet of God. Interestingly for myself, I don't KNOW that President Monson is a prophet, I have faith that he is, I believe that he is, I really like his talks but it seems that I can't get that burning knowledge of his priesthood from television or print (to be fair, until that time in the arena the same could have been said of my testimony of President Hinkley, I guess I have to be in physical proximity to get the message).
All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness.
Ernest Ludwig Kirchner

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 17 Aug 2009, 10:44

MWallace57 wrote:Maybe Christ was soon to return and those that had not repented would not be ready. Why was President Kimball so urgent. I worked hard for the next six months and was released to fly home early 1981. The first case of HIV - AIDS reached American shores in 1981.
I believe that repentance and savings souls is urgent for the prophet, that is their responsibility to be a voice of warning to the people of their time.

I think your story is inpiring to me that prophets speak truth, no matter what the timing of the message. I do think there is some danger is associating something like HIV/AIDS with the need to repent, as if the person who got sick was being cursed or if they repented they would be healed of the virus that was already there, but rather the benefits of living the law of chastity helps protect us from the natural consequences of that lifestyle. I think Pres Hinckley's messages about the fat and lean cows right before our financial crisis was another "prophetic" message, warning people like me that saving and food storage is important.

As missionaries, we regularly had our apocalyptic discussions, as I think all missionaries do. I was on a mission from 1988-1990 and we all pretty much accepted that the year 2000 was "the end".
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

jeriboy

Post by jeriboy » 17 Aug 2009, 12:39

Bill Atkinson said... Interestingly for myself, I don't KNOW that President Monson is a prophet, I have faith that he is, I believe that he is, I really like his talks but it seems that I can't get that burning knowledge of his priesthood from television or print (to be fair, until that time in the arena the same could have been said of my testimony of President Hinkley, I guess I have to be in physical proximity to get the message).
My brother and I discussed the concept of adjusting to a new leader in the LDS church. We both agreed Monson is not as warm and fuzzy as Hinkley, but that given more time his personal qualities will come through and we will be as spiritually addicted to him as we were to Hinkley. And to tide us over we know as most do of Apostolic succession.