What the heck is a "mystic"?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Poppyseed
Posts: 389
Joined: 19 Jul 2009, 15:44

Re: What the heck is a "mystic"?

Post by Poppyseed » 16 Aug 2009, 09:59

quietblue wrote:The practical test of all these strange religious experiences of mysticism, ecstasy, and inspiration is to observe whether these phenomena cause an individual:

1. To enjoy better and more complete physical health.

2. To function more efficiently and practically in his mental life.

3. More fully and joyfully to socialize his religious experience.

4. More completely to spiritualize his day-by-day living while faithfully discharging the commonplace duties of routine mortal existence.

5. To enhance his love for, and appreciation of, truth, beauty, and goodness.

6. To conserve currently recognized social, moral, ethical, and spiritual values.

7. To increase his spiritual insight--God-consciousness.

True religion is not a system of philosophic belief which can be reasoned out and substantiated by natural proofs, neither is it a fantastic and mystic experience of indescribable feelings of ecstasy which can be enjoyed only by the romantic devotees of mysticism. Religion is not the product of reason, but viewed from within, it is altogether reasonable. Religion is not derived from the logic of human philosophy, but as a mortal experience it is altogether logical. Religion is the experiencing of divinity in the consciousness of a moral being of evolutionary origin; it represents true experience with eternal realities in time, the realization of spiritual satisfactions while yet in the flesh.
Yes! Very good stuff here, QB. Thank you.

You know.....at the end of the day, I don't think these kind of labels serve me as they may serve some of you. I feel mostly like a regular human who has all of the desires listed above but who thinks about it in rather simple terms. I know I am not the smartest tool in the shed. I know I will never be a great intellectual. I can bearly hold my own in these deeper conversations. But I know about the truth that is written on the inside of me .... and it isn't something that is a product of rational thinking or intellectual conclusions. When I hear truth, I think I recognize it. It kinda resonates inside me and I see the fruit of it as it expands and directs me.

This earth life is awfully confusing. So many different perspectives and groups and people who think so many varied and opposite thoughts!! I can't make sense of all of it. Sometimes I feel like each division is focused on some wedge of truth....some portion that excites and fulfills. But it seems at times off balance and missing a centeredness....something that really resonates and appeals to me. I think I would rather see things as they really are even if I can't see that far. :) And I think in the end, it is the simpleness in my thinking that means the most. Mostly, I feel much like a child that hears the long expansive parental oratory and who says at the end, "ok...but can I just do what God wants me to?"
“Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.” --old Chinese proverb

User avatar
Heber13
Posts: 7088
Joined: 22 Apr 2009, 16:37
Location: In the Middle

Re: What the heck is a "mystic"?

Post by Heber13 » 17 Aug 2009, 17:51

Poppyseed wrote:But I know about the truth that is written on the inside of me .... and it isn't something that is a product of rational thinking or intellectual conclusions. When I hear truth, I think I recognize it. It kinda resonates inside me and I see the fruit of it as it expands and directs me.
Great thoughts Poppyseed. You seem to have a confidence about you in your ability to live with your truths. That's great.

It made me think a little...has it happened to you where the "truth that is written inside of [you]", that truth that you recognize as resonating inside of you, has it ever been wrong and made you wonder how that could be so? If so, how do you handle that and still have confidence in the next truth you accept?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

User avatar
Rix
Posts: 562
Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 14:29
Location: Bluffdale, UT

Re: What the heck is a "mystic"?

Post by Rix » 18 Aug 2009, 12:59

Heber13 wrote:
Poppyseed wrote:But I know about the truth that is written on the inside of me .... and it isn't something that is a product of rational thinking or intellectual conclusions. When I hear truth, I think I recognize it. It kinda resonates inside me and I see the fruit of it as it expands and directs me.
Great thoughts Poppyseed. You seem to have a confidence about you in your ability to live with your truths. That's great.

It made me think a little...has it happened to you where the "truth that is written inside of [you]", that truth that you recognize as resonating inside of you, has it ever been wrong and made you wonder how that could be so? If so, how do you handle that and still have confidence in the next truth you accept?
Yes, I think many times what is "inside" is our mind wrestling with our heart. Sometimes the mind has been poisoned with the traditions of our parents -- not always the truth for us.

Don Miguel Ruiz writes in his "Four Agreements" about putting off the old "dream" for the new. I like how he does it. (I know, guess that means another book review, huh?!) :lol:
Überzeugungen sind oft die gefährlichsten Feinde der Wahrheit.
[Certainty (that one is correct) is often the most dangerous enemy of the
truth.] - Friedrich Nietzsche

God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that. -- Joseph Campbell

User avatar
HiJolly
Posts: 471
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 21:25

Re: What the heck is a "mystic"?

Post by HiJolly » 18 Aug 2009, 13:10

Rix wrote:Don Miguel Ruiz writes in his "Four Agreements" about putting off the old "dream" for the new. I like how he does it. (I know, guess that means another book review, huh?!) :lol:
Yes! I thoroughly enjoyed the "Four Agreements".


HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

Poppyseed
Posts: 389
Joined: 19 Jul 2009, 15:44

Re: What the heck is a "mystic"?

Post by Poppyseed » 18 Aug 2009, 13:30

Is "The Four Agreements" the name of the book or part of the book? Sounds good.

Thanks Rix. I think you answered the question quite nicely for me.
“Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.” --old Chinese proverb

User avatar
Rix
Posts: 562
Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 14:29
Location: Bluffdale, UT

Re: What the heck is a "mystic"?

Post by Rix » 18 Aug 2009, 13:57

Poppyseed wrote:Is "The Four Agreements" the name of the book or part of the book? Sounds good.
It is the name of the book. If you like it, his other books are great too. I really like "The Mastery of Love," but The Four Agreements should be read first.
Überzeugungen sind oft die gefährlichsten Feinde der Wahrheit.
[Certainty (that one is correct) is often the most dangerous enemy of the
truth.] - Friedrich Nietzsche

God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that. -- Joseph Campbell

User avatar
timpanogos
Posts: 77
Joined: 28 Aug 2009, 21:46
Location: Utah

Re: What the heck is a "mystic"?

Post by timpanogos » 28 Aug 2009, 23:43

I used to study a bit of Kabala and spent many moons in the temple in a true quest for revelatory learning.

I used to consider myself a mystic Mormon.

But like a Hasidic Jew would tell you, if you were not a good male Jew over the age of 45, this pursuit would leave a person literally insane. I found this to be a true warning worth heeding.
Push to the Peak!

Post Reply