The Crying Game

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
SamBee

Re: The Crying Game

Post by SamBee » 14 Apr 2015, 10:02

Can't disagree with that. I'm not much of a cryer, I admit that, but I'm just puzzled at the context it happens in. I'm sorry to say that I tend to lump it in with the "I know that" type testimonies, which are very much by numbers.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Ann

Post by Ann » 14 Apr 2015, 18:27

Cadence wrote:
TataniaAvalon wrote:I like to joke with my DH that I am part Vulcan because I don't get emotional very often. I'm not a crier when it comes to church stuff 99% of the time. In fact growing up I always thought there was something wrong with me because I'd be at girls camp and everyone would be crying during testimony meeting, except me. Maybe I need to try the onion thing ;)
I have never cried in church. Probably have not cried in 40 years. I always took it as a sign of strength when someone can express a feeling or belief without using the tear card. When someone starts crying it tends to invalidate what they are saying to me. I am a Vulcan for sure.
I'm not a Trekkie, so don't know: Can an earthling become a Vulcan? I think that's what's happening to me. Post-faith transition I rarely get emotional. But, again, I don't judge at all because it's got to be a mix of personality, experiences, genetics, etc., that accounts for all the variations. I know a man whose medication for a condition makes him extremely emotional. He's very matter of fact about it - just calmly explains that he's going to cry.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

West

Post by West » 17 Apr 2015, 01:08

Vulcans are a humanoid species from another planet so...no, can't technically become one. :)

This has been an interesting thread. I associate tears with extreme feelings on any part of the spectrum, so I just assume people crying have had an overwhelming amount of emotion, and their bodies' response is tears. Recently, I participated in a wonderful charity event outside of the Church, and seeing how immensely grateful the benefiting family was (to the point of tears) had me and many of my manly comrades tearing up as well. That was in a positive, wonderful experience.

We're all a little crazy here in this life. :lol:
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran