Not Before Possible

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Not Before Possible

Post by Heber13 » 02 Mar 2015, 10:27

DancingCarrot wrote:I think there may be some sort of paradoxical nobility in the ability to feel guilty. As if your ability to feel guilty about something is proportional to the amount of change you are capable of. Which is a load of crap. I don't think it's the guilt that ever permanently causes someone to change. I think it's love for the people around you and, more importantly, love for yourself that you just don't want to be this way anymore and you deserve and can be better.
Love this comment!!

Love for God, love for yourself, love for others...yes...that is when change occurs.
2 Cor 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
I think "godly sorrow" is more about that love you mentioned, and can be productive. Perhaps wordly sorrow is more the manufactured guilt??? What do you think?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DancingCarrot

Re: Not Before Possible

Post by DancingCarrot » 02 Mar 2015, 18:30

Heber13 wrote:
2 Cor 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
I think "godly sorrow" is more about that love you mentioned, and can be productive. Perhaps wordly sorrow is more the manufactured guilt??? What do you think?
I agree with what you said at the end there, Heber. Guilt is a selfish emotion, meaning that it draws you constantly inward; hoping that you'll become a black hole from whence there is no recovery. If you're able to be free of guilt, then what's the use of it? If guilt can't get you to keep it around, then it's admitting that itself is not necessary (woo anthropomorphism!!) Love, OTOH, is freeing. It wants to be used and applied to yourself and others. In order for it to stick around, it has to be nurtured and shared. Which may sound totally frilly and rainbows and butterflies, but I've found it to be true. Love, or godly sorrow as you made the connection, inspires change as we see how we are standing in our own ways. Guilt is just another boulder you're placing in front of yourself while trying to put 1st Place Blue Ribbons on it because you're capable of feeling so bad about yourself. In my experience, guilt isn't helpful. I know other people who will not agree with me, but it's ok because I don't agree with them! :lol:
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons