The Watchers/Nephilim and genocide in the OT

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
rachael

The Watchers/Nephilim and genocide in the OT

Post by rachael » 08 Dec 2014, 14:55

I like researching about them because their existence explains the genocide in Exodus and Joshua. It also explains the beliefs of demigods of the Greeks and Romans. Not to mention the Ancient Alien theories. However the church is silent about it. L.A. Marzulli and Chuck Missler are my favorite non LDS sources that help me maintain Christianity and retain a Mormon paradigm. LA helps me not think of of God as a omnipotent tyrant in the OT stories (with the premise that thrse fallen angels in Genesis 6 were trying to corrupt thr Messianic bloodline) and Chuck has helped reconcile science vs. religion. Are there any others or am l a fringe of the fringe Mormon?

GBSmith

Re: The Watchers/Nephilim and genocide in the OT

Post by GBSmith » 10 Dec 2014, 07:40

One of the things that you have to consider is that the accounts of conquest in Deuteronomy and Joshua are not historical. A textbook for a class I'm taking, "A Short Introduction to the Hebrew Bible" by John J. Collins discusses this in the chapter on Joshua. The destruction of Jericho and the city of Ai are considered by archaeologists to be fictional. For me I take the whole business with a grain of salt.

rachael

Post by rachael » 29 Dec 2014, 01:44

I wish I could do that but I devour any biblical archaeology to support some of my literal views. I think the easier route would be the allegorical/metaphorical paradigm. Perhaps I haven't progressed enough to do that yet.

rachael

Post by rachael » 29 Dec 2014, 01:57

Plus I like the whole premise of " choose this day whom ye serve" in Joshua but kind of don't. Still looking for a middle way wading in absolutes and being ambivalent about ultatimatins. Trying to walk a straight and narrow is so grey when absolutes have so much appeal for their black and white properties. It is comfortable. Truth doesn't seem to care about comfort

Roy

Post by Roy » 29 Dec 2014, 03:06

Once I was in an army recruiters office and my mother asked him what happens if I change my mind about the path I want to take within the army (sniper vs. jeep mechanic etc.)

His answer was that my mother needed to trust me to make the right decision. (I think he was banking on some teenage angst on my part)

My mother had a great point in that people change (especially young people). Expecting them to decide right now and forevermore is not ideal.

I believe in commitment, but hopefully one finds new reasons everyday to reaffirm the commitment because we are free to choose.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 11 Mar 2015, 17:18

I haven't always flirted with the idea of ancient aliens, but it is and has been appealing get on a philosophical level. It really doesn't change much for how I live my life if certain events were set into motion on this planet by alien influence. I've heard all or a lot of the conspiracy theories, hollow earth anyone? And they're interesting, but I don't put much stock into them because of someone's interpretation. But it is their interpretation of something that everyone else has assumed said one thing, and they view it differently is what is appealing, the ability to see between the lines so to speak.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 13 Mar 2015, 15:13

GBSmith wrote:One of the things that you have to consider is that the accounts of conquest in Deuteronomy and Joshua are not historical. A textbook for a class I'm taking, "A Short Introduction to the Hebrew Bible" by John J. Collins discusses this in the chapter on Joshua. The destruction of Jericho and the city of Ai are considered by archaeologists to be fictional. For me I take the whole business with a grain of salt.
Few documents tell the truth about history. Americans have been adept at rewriting it in modern times. They, like the British, Chinese, Russians etc wrote books to justify expansion, invasion and occupation. Most people do not know the truth about Hawaii, Samoa, Diego Garcia, Puerto Rico or even WWII.

The link between all these is a supposed civilizing mission and superiority, justifying taking land and destroying pre-existing cultures.

However the Biblical texts do contain some historical data if one uses textual and linguistic analysis.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 17 Mar 2015, 09:10

If you want some really wild stuff about Mormonism, look on David Icke's website, but as I say it is "wild", so be warned.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 17 Mar 2015, 14:23

SamBee wrote:If you want some really wild stuff about Mormonism, look on David Icke's website, but as I say it is "wild", so be warned
Ah, the reptilians!
Alex Jones is another one with some wild claims.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 20 Mar 2015, 16:31

Ah yes, Alex the Mouth! Lots of noise. We have Glenn Beck.

Read incredible stuff on Icke - shapeshifting reptilian temple workers, Merovingian bloodlines of GAs, Nephites as ancient aliens...