Chieko's Corner

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Harmony

Re: Chieko's Corner

Post by Harmony » 12 Aug 2014, 22:29

Hi Mom3. I love Chieko Okazaki. Thanks for sharing. I will see if I can find some of her quotes to add. Her writings are always uplifting and I think help us to be less hard on ourselves :smile: :thumbup:

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 24 Aug 2014, 17:07

Would it be too far off topic to say that I'd just love to have been a fly on the wall listening to a (probably non-existant) conversation between Chieko Okasaki and Julie Beck? :lol:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

mom3

Post by mom3 » 24 Aug 2014, 21:38

No - I too would have loved the conversation. There are a few I would have loved to sit in on. The discussion she had with President Hinckley after he read the Proclamation on the Family at the General Relief Society Meeting. The other one I would have loved to witness was the day she found out the church had already created Relief Society manuals without consulting the General Relief Society.

Ironically - I can't imagine her getting upset or raising her voice, she delivered her words with such love, courage and wisdom, that it would probably be a joy to have her say anything to anyone. Yet - she still got her point across. Amazing.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

afterall

Post by afterall » 25 Aug 2014, 10:39

There are times for all of us when we do not understand what is happening or why it is happening or what we are supposed to learn from it. Peace seems very far away. This is the time to be completely honest with the Lord in your prayers and trust completely in him.

-Chieko Okazaki, Being Enough, p.191

afterall

Post by afterall » 25 Aug 2014, 10:43

I'm not saying that we should deny our pain or pretend that things are rosy when they're not. We don't make things better by wearing masks. I'm just saying that we usually have a choice about our attitudes, and the biggest difference we can make is in where we choose to focus when something is hurting us.
-Chieko Okazaki, Disciples, p.4

afterall

Post by afterall » 25 Aug 2014, 10:52

Our Father in Heaven does not want obedient slaves, anxious dependents,unthinking servants, loyal but incompetent children. He wants to give us all that he has. He wants to make us co-heirs with Christ. He wants us to become creators and peoplers of our own worlds, just as he is. In a word, he does not want inferiors. He wants partners. It behooves us, then, as disciples of Christ, to remove the obstacles in our own thinking and in our own traditions that may make it possible for us to look at any other brother or sister in the gospel and to think unkindly or demeaningly or uncharitably of them. Rather, let us say with Nephi and Jacob, 'The one being is as precious in his sight as the other'. Jacob 2:21
-Chieko Okazaki, Disciples, p.53

mom3

Post by mom3 » 25 Aug 2014, 13:17

In a word, he does not want inferiors. He wants partners. It behooves us, then, as disciples of Christ, to remove the obstacles in our own thinking and in our own traditions that may make it possible for us to look at any other brother or sister in the gospel and to think unkindly or demeaningly or uncharitably of them.
- Love this.

At times I am unsure if God is who I think he is (the detailed form), but the God of my heart whose unseen hand I do feel, is someone I want to be part of and like. I don't want to be
obedient slaves, anxious dependents,unthinking servants, loyal but incompetent children
. I believe for me that is the hugest part of my personal faith crisis in the religion of my upbringing. Ironically, the first quote is still my goal.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

afterall

Post by afterall » 25 Aug 2014, 14:06

mom3, thank you for starting this thread. I realize I have loaned out my copy of Sanctuary and there is a quote I wanted to review in there. Have to track down who has my book!

mom3

Post by mom3 » 26 Aug 2014, 10:23

Love is not just a nice feeling about someone. It is the pure and joyful pulse of the universe, and being in tune with it means you are in tune with the forces that bind together the stars on one hand and the atoms on the other. If we truly love each other, most differences become irrelevant and most forms of helping are pure delight.
Love literally has the power to cause change.

Chieko Okazaki - Lighten Up pg. 14

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Aug 2014, 12:31

Today's is a long one but very applicable to us.
Ed and I are both converts. We had to decide on our own what kind of Mormons we were going to be and what kind of Latter-Day Saint home we would establish. We listened to a lot of counsel. We observed a lot of families. But we still had to make our own decisions.

What's the principle? Teach your children the gospel. And what's the practice? That depends on your needs and wants and your family's needs and wants....

These are practices, options based upon needs. You get to choose what works for you and your family. So lighten up! Lighten up about yourself - and about other people.

Brother Dyer and Brother Kunz had a comment about guilt I want to share with you: "Many couples still feel some what apologetic or guilty because, althought they are carrying out a Church program (raising their family), they are not doing it the 'Church Way' and feel that their families would work even better if somehow they could do it 'by the book'. They geniunely want to do everything the church teaches them to do, and they want to do it perfectly. Yet in (the families in the study) they do not feel paralyzed by the desire for perfection. The statistics and interviews paint a remarkable picture of being simultaneously contented with family strengths while never feeling they can say, "We've got it made.'

Chieko Okazaki - Lighten Up. pg. 25