Chieko's Corner

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Re: Chieko's Corner

Post by mom3 » 09 Sep 2014, 11:06

A vital message for Men and Women
"Many Mormon women do not have clear boundaries for themselves. They feel a sense of confusion about who they are, because many competing voices lay claim to them and they try to accommodate them all. For example, when I became a member of the Relief Society general presidency, I was appalled at how many women were tormented by guilt about their responsibilities as mothers. They seemed unable to see a boundary between themselves and their children. If a child deviated from what was expected, it became a burden that the mother bore. . . .

It is a strength for women to be able to cross their own boundaries easily when they are meeting the needs of their children and serving others, but it is a great disadvantage when they feel every call for service as an imperative which they are obligated to meet. Remember, a boundary has “yes” on one side and “no” on the other. A woman who never feels that she can say “no” is lacking an important element of personal identity and, hence, personal safety.”

-Chieko Okazaki, Boundaries, p. 5-6
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

afterall

Post by afterall » 10 Sep 2014, 15:29

Mom3, thank you for this! I am sharing this with my daughters.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 17 Sep 2014, 12:07

“[T]he Church has nothing to fear from the strength of women. On the contrary, it desperately needs women--and men, too--who are not trapped in dysfunctional roles that involve playing out scripts that don’t really work. Partnership is a mutually supportive relationship that recognizes and honors both the differences and similarities between men and women, that draws deeply on the strengths of both, that focuses on working toward mutually decided goals, and that celebrates the contributions of both in the home, in the community, and in the church and kingdom of God. Help both men and women to work for partnership and to move away from the limitations of rigid roles.”
-Chieko Okazaki, Boundaries, p. 16
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Nov 2014, 23:25

“Christ was born, he lived, and he died to teach us how to love one another and to love our Heavenly Father. The gospel that he taught was one of love. The cause of Christ is to increase the amount of love in the world today--the amount of love in our hearts, the amount of love in our homes, the amount of love in our offices and businesses, the amount of love in our communities, the amount of love in our chapels, the amount of love in our nation, and the amount of love on our planet.”

-Chieko Okazaki, Cat's Cradle, p. 162-163
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 11 Nov 2014, 04:33

I have already copied a few of sister Okazaki's quotes from this site. It is someone you really want to say, "Dang, I wish I had her as a friend!"

I know I am stating the obvious, but isn't it interesting how the church members just LOVE her and those like her (Uchtdorf and Holland)? You would think some might be able to see that and look at what they are saying that is different - or others see that and feel they need to counterbalance.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Nov 2014, 16:14

Lookinghard - another good one today.
“The spirit of the gospel is the spirit of liberty, of flowering, of unfurling, and of growth. It is a pattern of enlarging boundaries, or understanding that enables us to reach across and even dissolve boundaries. Mortality is a beginners’ pool for all of us. The limitations that provide safety in this life are temporary. If we try to make them permanent or endow them with eternal significance, we will limit ourselves and stifle our own growth.”
Boundaries pg. 16

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 14 Nov 2014, 18:29

Thanks mom!

(been wanting to say that one for a bit) :)

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 24 Apr 2018, 12:46

Bumping this thread...