Chieko's Corner

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Chieko's Corner

Post by mom3 » 01 Aug 2014, 11:54

We have a thread in General section called, "Useful Quotes of The Day." Taking a leaf out of that book I am going to start a Chieko Okazaki thread - here.

Chieko was the first non-Caucasian member of any auxiliary board. Eventually she was called as a counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency. Her words inspire many people. I think it's important to remember them. With that here we go.
“You may think that you’re important because of what you do for people--that you’re important to the world because you take care of your children or your grandchildren, or teach lessons or volunteer at the shelter or take the Boy Scouts on hikes. You may think you count because of the salary you earn and because you provide for your family. Certainly those things are important. But those are jobs, chores, functions. They are things that someone else could do. What’s essential about you is who you are. If you’re someone’s spouse or parent or friend or teacher, that’s a relationship, not a set of tasks. What’s essential in that relationship is you, the real you, not just a smoothly functioning job-doer, No one and no thing can make you happy. Only you can do that. And nothing is more essential.”

-Chieko Okazaki, "Being Enough," p. 189
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Re: Chieko's Corner

Post by mom3 » 01 Aug 2014, 12:00

I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I'm going to say next. The First Presidency has made its opposition to same-sex marriages very clear; as a member of the church I support them in their position. But I want to stress that we can be opposed to a piece of legislation or to a practice and still behave with courtesy and decency toward those who hold other opinions. I would not want anyone to use the First Presidency's stand as an excuse for being hateful or disrespectful toward others..... It is very likely that every person in the Church knows someone - a family member or a friend - who is gay, lesbian or bisexual. I also think it is very likely that many people do not know that they know a homosexual or bisexual person because that person is afraid to reveal that part of him or herself for fear of being rejected, punished, or excluded. I think there is much we do not understand about how such conditions come to be, or what resources are truly helpful. In the meantime, nothing has suspended the commandment of Jesus to love one another and to bear one another's burdens. - Chieko Okazaki, "Disciples," p. 122
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Aug 2014, 12:00

“Showing respect for a person’s national or ethnic background is a way of showing respect for that person. It’s a way of saying, ‘Where you come from and how you do things and how you say things is important to me because you are important to me.'”

-Chieko Okazaki, "Being Enough," p. 169

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Aug 2014, 12:01

“If we are filled with the love of Christ, we will not only see him as he is but we will see others as he sees them. I promise you that barriers of separation within your heart that are holding your sisters at a distance will crumble. They will disappear even in the moment when you realize, in the sacred presence of our Savior, that they exist.”
-Chieko Okazaki, "Being Enough," p. 179

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Aug 2014, 12:02

“Kindness without love is not kindness at all. It’s patronage, it’s condescension, it’s smugness and superiority. If you have been the recipient of this species of ‘kindness,’ you know that you would much rather do without it.

But with love, kindness is refreshment and rejoicing. It strengthens bonds and creates new ones. And it’s a tough, patient virtue, not a frilly, fluffy one.

It is significant to me that in the same verse in which Paul says charity is kind, he describes a second virtue, patience, in four different ways: charity ‘suffereth long, . . . is not easily provoked, . . . beareth all things, . . . endureth all things’ (1 Cor. 13:4-7). In other words, a charitable person must endure in patience, endure more than her share, suffer when it is not fair, and suffer ‘long.’ Kindness is not sentimental or weak. It’s tough, strong, and long-lasting.”

-Chieko N. Okazaki, "Sanctuary," p. 75

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Aug 2014, 12:29

LOVE this, mom3. She was my favorite General Authority - and, yes, I know that term generally isn't used for the female leadership, but it should be, so I do. :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 02 Aug 2014, 18:42

Elder John K. Carmack had a wonderful article published in the March 1991 Ensign titled "Unity in Diversity. He wrote: "Labeling a fellow Church member an intellectual, a less-active member, a feminist, a South African, and Armenian, a Utah Mormon, or a Mexican, for example, seemingly provides an excuse to mistreat or ignore that person. . . . Each of us should be fair to everyone, especially the victims of discrimination, isolation, and exclusion. Let us be careful not to snicker at jokes that demean and belittle others because of religious, cultural, racial, national, or gender differences. All are alike unto God. We should walk away or face up to the problem when confronted with these common and unworthy practices.

Quoted by Chieko Okazaki, Lighten Up. pg. 22

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 04 Aug 2014, 04:29

Thanks for posting these, mom3. I REALLY needed to start the day out with something positive after a somewhat frustrating 3 hour block on Sunday.

Chieko was a great leader and very wise. I, like Ray, place her high on my "Favorite General Authorities" list.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Aug 2014, 08:23

“Diversity is a strength, not a division. I attend a lot of meetings where I’m the only woman. And I attend many, many meetings where I’m the only Oriental woman. You can perhaps imagine how that feels. Have you ever had the feeling that you’re the odd one, the different one? Maybe even too odd or different for this church? The truth is that you’re not odd--you’re special. When white light falls on a wall, it makes a white wall. But when it passes through a prism, that same light makes a rainbow on the wall.”

-Chieko Okazaki, Lighten Up, p. 4

RiverSong14

Post by RiverSong14 » 12 Aug 2014, 08:56

I love these!! Thank you for sharing.