Eternity?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Forgotten_Charity

Re: Eternity?

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 19 May 2014, 12:18

Eternity, hmm. Pandora's box. As best as can be found is that "forever" is a unique concept that doesn't have any basis in the universe. The earth? Nope. The sun 4.5 billion years of fusion is a long time but 4.5 billion years isn't forever.

Since no stars or planets last forever and starts die faster then they are being born with progress less as matter turns to energy with less matter and more energy over time in the universe. What is "forever"?

Well E=MC2. That's about the best example of forever that I have heard. Matter or energy cannot be created or destroyed only changed from one to the other. But it seems no matter holds it's form forever. Which brings into the question of, if when we die, what shape do the souls take over time since matter doesn't last without changing form or converting to energy over time. What dies that mean for us as far as eternity goes?

If we do gain mass+energy bodies, who do they change over time? Back to mass? Back to energy back to mass again then mass and energy?

We are star dust, then organic matter, then possibly star dust and organic matter, then what form faster that?

At least we know matter and energy aren't created or destroyed:-) only forever changing from one to the other,

Forever though, seeing as how long the universe took to form and change and still is, might've assume the same with ourselves? Why not the multi-verse? To create humanity seems to have taken billions of years. As guess time is slow from our earthly experience where time appears to be much more vastly rushed for progress compared with the development if the universe.

For me it is what it is. Neither Mormonism nor any other established orthodoxy has given much reason to celebrate eternity.
So I feel inclined to make my own "eternity" and heaven to give life and eternity meaning and happiness, if there is one it would be very different from the church system in order to provide happiness that most my peers crave. More integrated, less demanding, less conforming. More exploring, more freedom to think and explore, less central control, more equality. Etc. is how I would describe eternity as bring worthwhile.

No hierarchy society and more egalitarian society if eternity is to be remotely worth while.

InquiringMind

Post by InquiringMind » 20 May 2014, 22:15

During my faith crisis I spent a whole lot of time contemplating mortality. I concluded that our consciousness probably ends when we die. Since my reawakening I've realized that no one really knows what happens after we die. It seems absurd that something as marvelous as human consciousness is finite. But eternal life is absurd in its own ways.

In math calculations, infinity is not a number. Infinity is a direction. We'll say things like "as x gets arbitrarily large."

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » 21 May 2014, 11:06

Perhaps eternity is just existing outside the dimension of time. That is the way I try to look at it.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4599e

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 May 2014, 11:56

Interestingly, the following posted on my personal blog today - dealing with eternity:

"Charity Suffereth (Allows) Long and Is Kind: How 'God Is Love'" (http://thingsofmysoul.blogspot.com/2014 ... nd-is.html)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

thalmar

Post by thalmar » 21 May 2014, 12:15

I personally believe the entire universe as we can see it is only the mortal aspect of creation, and that there is an entire spiritual, higher realm that we simply cannot see with our eyes or any scientific instruments at this point. Perhaps the universe is just the training ground for eternity and there is a whole other eternal universe that we cannot see. Who knows.

As far as being happy for eternity, I have learned an important truth through personal experience: happiness comes from learning how to find joy in the things you already have. My happiest moments are being able to look at the same tree with new eyes, the same lover with new eyes, etc. Any other happiness is based on things that will change and ultimately burn out. We must learn to find joy in things as they are and not expect eternal joy to come from new experiences. We create new experiences through our perspectives and faith, not by new stimulus. God cannot have new stimulus, as far as we know. Yet if he is happy, it must be in knowing how to love what he has already created and learned.

In fact, I think that is what true love really is: loving things because they are what they are. Evil is the absence of the way things really are...a great lie that blocks us from seeing reality and creates a fantasy that exists only in our own minds.

God's love enables him/her to be happy forever. Every new child, every existing creation...these are joyful because God knows how to find joy in everything. Sure, gaining knowledge and experience is a part of joy, but I think even that is a fruitless pursuit if you cannot also keep finding joy in the experiences and knowledge you already have. In essence, addiction is the problem of only knowing how to find happiness in new experiences, while believing your existing experiences aren't good enough. It is chasing the end of the rainbow, it is always drinking but never feeling quenched.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 May 2014, 12:19

Profound, Thalmar. Thanks! :thumbup:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 May 2014, 14:56

Yes, thanks, Thalmar. That is a beautiful concept.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken