Eternity?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Cadence

Eternity?

Post by Cadence » 18 May 2014, 10:13

Could any sentient being actually live with its same consciousness for eternity? A billion years maybe but 10 to the tenth years I can not see it. You would go insane with the sheer monotony of having done everything. Maybe reincarnation would work by allowing you to continue to exist, but starting over each time thus creating a new reality. Or maybe we are just better off only existing for a brief moment. Eternity seems like such a long time to be the same being.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

DarkJedi

Re: Eternity?

Post by DarkJedi » 18 May 2014, 10:28

This is just supposition, not doctrine or any official teaching of anyone. Please see it as what it is, and it is simply thinking out loud.

Could it be that part of eternal progression is that our own consciousness, our own sentientness (I know that's not a word), expands and evolves to a state that is beyond our current comprehension as well? In other words how do you know we'll be the same a billion years from now? I think our "intelligences" that eventually became "spirit children" and eventually us (if indeed such a thing ever did occur) were probably quite different from what we now are. Although I cannot comprehend it, I'm not sure there is an end state to eternal progression.
Last edited by DarkJedi on 18 May 2014, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 May 2014, 13:01

It's better to me than the alternative.

Also, what DJ said. Eternal progression, as a concept, is one of my favorite things about our theology.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 18 May 2014, 13:08

Cadence,

I agree. There were a few nights when I was a kid that I couldn't sleep because I was so weirded-out by the idea of never-ending... never... ever... ever...

I suspect that even among believers, it's probably better just to leave the next life to itself and concentrate on this one.

One Atheist's view:
There is nothing frightening about an eternal dreamless sleep. Surely it is better than eternal torment in Hell and eternal boredom in Heaven. -- Isaac Asimov
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Daeruin

Eternity?

Post by Daeruin » 18 May 2014, 17:48

I think it's possible that the way we experience the passage of time would be qualitatively different once we reach a certain level of progression. St. Thomas Aquinas thought that time itself was an illusion, a limited way of experiencing life in mortality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 18 May 2014, 18:23

Daeruin wrote:I think it's possible that the way we experience the passage of time would be qualitatively different once we reach a certain level of progression. St. Thomas Aquinas thought that time itself was an illusion, a limited way of experiencing life in mortality.
I do agree that time is not necessarily eternal. I don't think we can understand it because our understanding is limited. As far as I can tell time is a human invention, perhaps nothing more than a myth.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

InquiringMind

Post by InquiringMind » 18 May 2014, 18:40

The Mormon afterlife is probably the most interesting of any religion that I know of - creating planets and worlds and populating them with one's own children. Protestant heaven sounds pretty boring - sitting on a cloud strumming your harp and eating all the junk food you want. Muslim heaven sounds a little better. The Mormon CK is the most grandiose of any afterlife I've heard of, but I guess that some people might not want that afterlife.

We do release our consciousness every day during our sleep. So we do need a daily break from consciousness.

Cadence

Eternity?

Post by Cadence » 18 May 2014, 19:40

In a trillion or more years every star in the universe will burn out. There will be no more light. I think when we think of eternity we think in terms that a human can comprehend. But the knowen universe is only 14 billion years old or so. Multiply that by 1000 and you still have not touched eternity. It seems inconceivable that anything even God can endure forever. When we say we will live forever we have no idea what we are talking about.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

Oneofmany

Post by Oneofmany » 18 May 2014, 20:38

I used to have a fascination with concept of infinite and eternity and realized, I just can't comprehend them. (Granted my fascination was more in a mathematical real.) This subject has been known to cause people to lose their minds and not just speaking in a religious sense. (For a good mathematical interesting read on the subject that can be understood, I recommend reading the book "mystery of the Alph" (It is supposed to be the infinity symbol but I couldn't find it in any of the options.)) Basically, what it comes down to for me in both mathematics and here, I don't comprehend it. I can use it for some important conclusions but I don't completely understand.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 19 May 2014, 03:38

Cadence wrote:In a trillion or more years every star in the universe will burn out. There will be no more light. I think when we think of eternity we think in terms that a human can comprehend. But the knowen universe is only 14 billion years old or so. Multiply that by 1000 and you still have not touched eternity. It seems inconceivable that anything even God can endure forever. When we say we will live forever we have no idea what we are talking about.
Forever may be a relative term. I know we're getting abstract here, but consider how we use words. We say thinks like "We've always done it this way" or "We've always had a cat" or "The church has always taught that we're eternal." But in those case always is relative to some starting point and will eventually have an end point that we are currently unaware of. Because time is an invention to help people try to understand the world around us, perhaps we also use "forever" or "eternal" as relative terms without really understanding that they have a finite nature.

There's also the Joseph Smith explanation of eternity being like a ring, "one eternal round." I've heard this being compared to an old video game as well - when you go off the edge of the right side of the screen, you reappear on the left side. This explanation does not make it any easier to understand.

My Introduction