Becoming the Water

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Becoming the Water

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 May 2014, 08:05

cwald said in another thread:
Sometimes we need to quit worrying about what makes the river flow, and simply become the water.

Frankly, that's one of the key reasons I am so active in the LDS Church, outside of my love for the over-arching theology. It and its members, including my family, gave me water growing up - when I was the strange one who thought differently than everyone else. I am who I am now largely because of that nurturing I received in my youth - and I feel a STRONG need to give others that same water now, both at a forum like this (for those who now are like I was way back then) AND at Church (for those who are like my parents, family and friends were way back then).

They gave me water even though I was different than them; I now give them water even though they are different than I.

One eternal round and all that jazz.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Forgotten_Charity

Re: Becoming the Water

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 13 May 2014, 10:44

Works for some people ray. Vast majority of people I think take to that concept. Few remain or question the water, fewer still I have found take the route of being the water while questioning its surroundings. Which is the path I that chose me. Although I find it helpful for some people to just slow down their thinking and become the water. I realize that the world needs both people to become balanced and progress.

But being the water is good, so long as everyone doesn't join in and unbalance the universe lol.

Ann

Post by Ann » 13 May 2014, 13:40

I've always loved the line from "Give, Said the Little Stream" -
I'm small, I know, but wherever I go, the fields grow greener still.
Thanks for being the moderator here.

(And I just realized I've been singing this wrong - "the grass grows greener still" - my whole life. I guess I liked it better that way.)
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 May 2014, 13:59

So here is the crazy one for the day. Like Ann, I have a "Living Water" song I always sing. I was taught it at girls camp, I was told it was poem of Carol Lynn Pearsons, but it's not. Anyway today in light of the thread I dug out the sheet for it and decided to google the song, just for reference. I had a cool shock of shocks when I read the songs history and the story of it's author. Honestly, life lessons are every where. Anyway here are the words to my "Living Water" song.
Come To The Water or For Those Tears I Died
You said You’d come and share all my sorrows,
You said You’d be there for all my tomorrows;
I came so close to sending You away,
But just like You promised You came there to stay;
I just had to pray!

And Jesus said, “Come to the water, stand by My side,
I know you are thirsty, you won’t be denied;
I felt ev’ry teardrop when in darkness you cried,
And I strove to remind you that for those tears I
died.”

Your goodness so great I can’t understand,
And, dear Lord, I know that all this was planned;
I know You’re here now, and always will be,
Your love loosed my chains and in You I’m free;
But Jesus, why me?

died.”

Jesus, I give You my heart and my soul,
I know that without God I’d never be whole;
Savior, You opened all the right doors,
And I thank You and praise You from earth’s humble
shores; Take me, I’m Yours.

died.”
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Oneofmany

Post by Oneofmany » 18 May 2014, 20:42

Ann wrote:(And I just realized I've been singing this wrong - "the grass grows greener still" - my whole life. I guess I liked it better that way.)
Just to post on "give said the little stream", the words were changed in relatively recent history because of the connotations of "grass". My mom was lamenting the fact that she too liked it better when the grass was greener still. (She ought to know as she has spent over 26 years in one primary calling or another, which by the way she says are the best callings in the church. I love my Mom!)