Spiritual Thought

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Spiritual Thought

Post by mom3 » 14 Jan 2014, 12:33

This showed up in my facebook feed this morning. I really liked it and thought I'd share.
“It seems that in the spiritual world, we do not really find something until we first lose it, ignore it, miss it, long for it, choose it, and personally find it again—but now on a new level. Three of the parables of Jesus are about losing something, searching for it anew with some effort, finding it, and in each case throwing a big party afterwards . . . . Falling, losing, failing, transgression, and sin are the pattern, I am sorry to report. Yet they all lead toward home.” -- Richard Rohr, Falling Upward, 66-67
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Re: Spiritual Thought

Post by nibbler » 14 Jan 2014, 12:43

I think that in some ways the teaching of spirit paradise/prison is an archetype to help convey the same message. As premortal spirits we have no concept of the blessings a body can bring. We come here and receive a body. Still, there's little appreciation because we haven't leaned anything about our bodies... and by the time we've grown comfortable in our own skin (pun) we can no longer juxtapose it with our premortal existence. Then we die and go to spirit paradise/prison. I imagined such a place to be a bit torturous regardless of which side of the fence you end up on because we then know what it's like to have a body, we miss it, and desperately want it back. Then boom we get it and for the first time become truly grateful for it.

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 14 Jan 2014, 14:07

That's definitely been my experience, momof3.

Now... off to post it on my FB feed. LOL.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 14 Jan 2014, 14:13

Indeed that is the overwhelming theme by a wide margin in the BOM.
Count the years the success before falling and getting back up and falling and getting back up. It's usually between 6 months and 2-3 years in tween major failures and collapse. It happens over and over and over again. A lesson there when we hold ourselves up to standees that were never achieved. The lesson seems to be just the effort or journey to get there.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Jan 2014, 14:34

Love it!

Thanks.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 15 Jan 2014, 09:29

Yes, there's great truth in this. If you lose something, you treasure it more.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 20 Jan 2014, 11:55

So I purchased Falling Upward on audible and have been listening over the last few days. It's very good and I like the paradigm he uses of a pre-fall/post-fall. I think a lot of stayldsers would be able to relate to this.

Funny thing - he mentions Mormons in chapter 5. Some might get a chuckle out of that as well.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 04 May 2018, 07:46

mom3 wrote:
14 Jan 2014, 12:33
This showed up in my facebook feed this morning. I really liked it and thought I'd share.
“It seems that in the spiritual world, we do not really find something until we first lose it, ignore it, miss it, long for it, choose it, and personally find it again—but now on a new level. Three of the parables of Jesus are about losing something, searching for it anew with some effort, finding it, and in each case throwing a big party afterwards . . . . Falling, losing, failing, transgression, and sin are the pattern, I am sorry to report. Yet they all lead toward home.” -- Richard Rohr, Falling Upward, 66-67
Bump.

I find these parables to contain meaning.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 May 2018, 13:12

Thank you Amy,

I have been displaced from my work room for the year and completely forgot about my Richard Rohr books. Thanks to you I am digging them out again. And yes - that paragraph alone has so much impact on me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman