Expounding on Light

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
timpanogos

Re: Expounding on Light

Post by timpanogos » 30 Aug 2009, 20:30

light illuminates everything but itself (i.e. the pitch blackness of space, with light piecing it in all directions). It is not until light strikes something else that its presence is perceived.
Push to the Peak!

MWallace57

Post by MWallace57 » 06 Sep 2009, 03:44

I also love the electromagnetic spectrum. The human eye can only detect a very narrow range of the spectrum of light.

What amazes me is that a little insect can see ultraviolet. We look at a small white flower and hardly notice it. A honey bee might see the exact same flower, ablaze with violet color,
that beckons to the sweet nectar. How much "sweetness" we miss when we cannot see and appreciate the whole spectrum. Human "busily buzz" right past the beauty of life's most glorious creations and "notice them not".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ly-us.html

MWallace57

Post by MWallace57 » 06 Sep 2009, 03:58

Oh, I forgot to mention that bats "see" in the total darkness of a cave. They can fly at midnight - as they do.

Their secret "sight" is actually echo location. The bat screeches and emits a sound wave. The sound wave travel to the wall of the cave and then bounces back toward the bats humongous ears. These little creatures have nothing but black dots for eyes and really are "legally blind", but they are excellent little pilots.

One wonders, if God can guide these little creatures through the darkest night, surely He can guide us through our darkness, if we learn how to listen. Just as the blind little bat sends out a cry and the wall of the cave "replies", so does the Lord reply when send Him our prayers.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 09 Sep 2009, 16:37

MWallace57 wrote:I also love the electromagnetic spectrum. The human eye can only detect a very narrow range of the spectrum of light.

What amazes me is that a little insect can see ultraviolet. We look at a small white flower and hardly notice it. A honey bee might see the exact same flower, ablaze with violet color, that beckons to the sweet nectar. How much "sweetness" we miss when we cannot see and appreciate the whole spectrum. Human "busily buzz" right past the beauty of life's most glorious creations and "notice them not".
This is what I love about the principle of light as well...what is light to my eye or your eye or an insect's eye can be different relative to the eye that perceives it, and limited to our current capacity. I think we become foolish when thinking I see the full light and everyone has to have the same light I see, and they also need to call it by the same name as I do, or they are wrong or they are in "darkness".

Now your bat theory is a new twist. That suggests some may not need "light" at all, if they have sound or other methods of still being led. Why would God make a creature that doesn't need light unless it was for a purpose and there was "another way"? That is something for me to chew on for a while.

Thanks for your comments.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."