Expounding on Light

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Orson
Site Admin

Expounding on Light

Post by Orson » 23 Jun 2009, 12:30

I love the analogy of light tied to the absolutes of black and white. We see the fullness of light as white, and the absence of light as black. Everything in between is seen as various shades of color – the rainbow of life. Sometimes with our unique temperaments we may be inclined to argue that a particular hue is closer to magenta than violet. I have to wonder in such situations if we are sidestepping the most important point – that it’s a color, and by definition it’s only a portion of all light. We’re not really sure if all eyes see all the different colors in the same way anyway. Wouldn’t it be nice if the world could just say “yes that is a beautiful color – whatever you call it.”

Is it too hard to remember that a strictly black and white world would be kind of boring - that the division of light into portions is what helps us appreciate the fullness of light? It’s even the blackness that defines the light, colors would mean little without being balanced by contrast. I for one am thankful for black, without it everything else would be blinding and almost meaningless. Maybe this is an important point, didn’t Jesus say “he who has eyes to see, let him see”?
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Heber13

Re: Expounding on Light

Post by Heber13 » 23 Jun 2009, 13:18

A very interesting topic, as intelligence is also light.

I think your reasoning shows why there must be opposition in all things. We would not know what white means unless we knew what non-white is to compare it to. Even then, non-white could be so many things, that comparing white to black provides a standard (all light or no light), and everything in between can be relative to those polar opposites.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Jun 2009, 15:20

I have so little time right now, but I just want to say what a wonderful post this is. Shades of color are what make the world beautiful around us, as different instruments and parts are what make the orchestral and choral sound rich and vibrant.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 24 Jun 2009, 14:20

Beautiful post Orson. All the shades and colors are light. The only thing that isn't light is darkness -- complete darkness. This way of thinking could also tie into the idea of becoming one with God, as Christ is one with God. We become all light, and are only light, having no more darkness within us.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

jmb275

Post by jmb275 » 24 Jun 2009, 22:28

Okay, so I'm gonna wax nerdy on you because this is my field. And I'm gonna reinterpret the metaphor here.

Visible light is only a small spectrum of the electromagnetic spectrum (also called electromagnetic radiation). It goes from long range radio, to gamma rays. It's actually all the same light, just different wavelengths. This, I think makes the metaphor even more beautiful. We can't even see most of the electromagnetic spectrum. Yet we can feel it sometimes (in infrared), or after we get burned (ultraviolet). We also have sensors that can measure it, and we can transmit information in it. It's all the same stuff - electromagnetic radiation.
I am like a huge, rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; and the only polishing I get is when some corner gets rubbed off by coming in contact with something else, striking with accelerated force against religious bigotry, priestcraft, lawyer-craft, doctor-craft, lying editors, suborned judges and jurors, and the authority of perjured executives, backed by mobs, blasphemers, licentious and corrupt men and women--all hell knocking off a corner here and a corner there.
- Joseph Smith, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 304)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Jun 2009, 15:24

Great addition, jmb275. That is a wonderful point, and it's SO easy to forget in the emotion of the moment when disillusionment clouds the light even more than normal.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 25 Jun 2009, 15:53

jmb275 wrote:We also have sensors that can measure it, and we can transmit information in it. It's all the same stuff - electromagnetic radiation.
That's interesting to think about too, because our sensors may not be the same as others', for example someone who is color blind.

That doesn't mean the radiation is different for them, it is still all the same, but they may only see shades of grey whereas I see the reds and blues they cannot see. So I can't tell them they're wrong because they don't see it the same way I do, I can only tell them how I see it.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Jun 2009, 16:00

Heber13, that is an amazing insight. I'm loving this thread.

Would you mind, Heber, taking the post and comments and writing a new post for Mormon Matters as a guest? If you would prefer not to do it, do you mind if jmb275 does? (jmb275, do you mind being volunteered? I think it would be an awesome post for that forum - just not too technical, OK?) :P

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 25 Jun 2009, 16:43

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it, and have it be my first guest author attempt. Its a good subject.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Jun 2009, 17:13

When you have it ready, e-mail it to me at: curtisraydegraw at yahoo dot com. I will schedule and post it - or send it to Hawkgrrrl, if I'm too busy at the time. 8-)