aura, spirits, unusual experiences

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: aura, spirits, unusual experiences

Post by hawkgrrrl » 09 Aug 2013, 22:33

I have never seen an aura myself, but I once had a chakra massage that was an incredible experience. The "massage" is done with no physical contact, and is intended to free up blocked energy in the 7 chakras. I could feel it as real as an energy blast in the different areas of the body. It was amazing.

cwald

Post by cwald » 10 Aug 2013, 00:03

I love the mystic. I feel it every night from the trees and sunset from my beer patio...the gods talk to me.

I will not question another of how they may feel the divine. Let them worship who, where, and what they may...And allow me the same privilege.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

conflicted testimony

Post by conflicted testimony » 10 Aug 2013, 07:25

I find it interesting that as a church we are totally accepting of some "super-natural" things yet quick to ridicule/shun others!

I have had many experience over the years, many I have attributed to the workings of the Holy Ghost. Some occurred before I was a member, but I still consider them from the same source. But then how do I reconcile the "bad" ones? Then there are a few that are neither good nor bad, or I don't know what the outcome would have been (eg I went house hunting and was physically unable to enter a property - it was like there was a force field around it).

An example of the "bad" is the current home I am in. Both my son and I have heard footsteps up the hallway. The piano has played notes when I am the only one home, jewellery has been rearranged in the cupboard, my lost keys were found under a photo frame in a room I rarely use. I was woken from a nap one day with someone stroking my hair - no one at home. I asked for a non specific prayer/blessing to be done on our home and the events stopped.

An example of the good is considering taking the kids to a church, within a week the missionaries happen to turn up (we had no association with the church at the time). I have also heard a voice in my head saying "slow down" on the road - there was a police speed check around the corner. Though I am not sure that one is a valid HG experience :)

I think the OP's experiences are very unique and very special and I see no reason why they should be considered anything other than a gift.

It is a shame there are so many charlatans out there that muddy the waters of special experiences - so many people are sceptical of others genuine experiences.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Aug 2013, 09:26

The COJCOLDS has certainly kept the "Pentecostal" aspects of its history quiet.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 14 Aug 2013, 13:10

D&C46
11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.
12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.
I have never had any experiences to speak of, and think my gifts must be in other areas.
momto11 wrote:Then, I got wondering, if those of us who don't see auras around spiritual people are just not at righteous, or if it is just not a gift that we have been given.
I don't really think it is a barometer of righteousness. Just like I don't think tears are a barometer for spirituality. People just experience things differently.

I think whether you have those kind of experiences or not, you still have to process things and choose what you believe they mean to you.

I am less inspired by these experiences shared by other people, probably because I don't relate to them. Probably just like my daughter is less excited about football because she doesn't get it. We all have different things that interest us based on our experiences, I think.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 17 Aug 2013, 08:57

I can't stand the tears thing, it's so Mormon. No other church does that bearing testimony - most of the time - even if they are joyous.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 Aug 2013, 14:10

Actually, Sam, I've seen it in multiple situations, religious and even non-religious. It's nowhere close to uniquely Mormon.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Aug 2013, 11:44

I don't get it, you're supposed to be happy, not miserable, and they usually don't come across as tears of joy either, but someone forcing themselves to give a "standard" testimony.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 Aug 2013, 13:15

My eyes tear up occasionally when I'm talking about things that mean a lot to me - regardless of the nature of it. Thus, it happens sometimes when I'm bearing my testimony - but not other times. It also happens at work sometimes, when I'm talking about people I've been able to help attend college and the changes that has made in their lives.

I don't see it as "spiritual"; it's purely emotional in my view.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

turinturambar

Post by turinturambar » 21 Aug 2013, 21:50

I've been encouraged to go see a woman who lives about 20 miles north of me to have a reading. For $25, she reads your body and tells you what is wrong with your health. I spend more than that in co-pays for the doctor, PT, etc. I'm beginning to think "WTH, Why not?"

I recently finished helping my parents sell their house of 18 years. They used to have a basset hound who couldn't leave a certain spot in the front room alone. I was convinced she could see it was haunted. It wasn't a malevolent spirit, nevertheless, it was real. I think pets can often see spiritual things we cannot. Oh--RIP, Jenny Doodle!
Attachments
jenny doodle.jpg
jenny doodle.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 678 times
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:2‎)‎