aura, spirits, unusual experiences

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
momto11

aura, spirits, unusual experiences

Post by momto11 » 27 May 2013, 12:53

I have a sister who seems to be being drawn into mysticism----this is a subject i would like to make a new topic for, the reason I mention it, is because it brought up a discussion between another sister and I about people who see "auras" around people. i have a niece who sees this type of thing, but not all the time. I was quick to say that i thought this was not a good thing, but in looking it up, realized that maybe I am wrong about that. Maybe some people have a "gift" of seeing auras around people, although, If it is something they don't always see, i am not sure of it's purpose----I could see the purpose if people see these things in a meeting when a spiritual talk is being given by a sincere and spiritual person.

Then, I got wondering, if those of us who don't see auras around spiritual people are just not at righteous, or if it is just not a gift that we have been given.

I realized that I have had some very interesting experiences when it came to having my children---and maybe they are not different than someone else seeing and aura. When I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I woke up one night and went to check on the kids, we had 4 others. I checked the girl's room, then I checked the boy's room. I could not find one of my kids---even though all 4 of them were asleep in their beds. I went to the front room and checked the couch and was reaching the point of feeling panicky. I went back to my bedroom and woke my husband---when he asked me what I needed, I suddenly felt stupid, and told him "nothing" because I had no idea who I was looking for. The next day when I wondered who I had been looking for, my husband figured it was probably the (unborn) baby.

I wasn't able to breastfeed this baby, because of medication. I remember one night, while I was very sleepy and making a bottle for my baby, I couldn't figure out where the other baby was---I wasn't worried, just a little confused---then I realized I did not have two babies. I gave birth to twins a month after my son turned 2 years old.

As a teenager, at girls camp, I was alone in the food tent, and had the very distinct feeling of a young girl with long dark hair standing and watching me, i didn't really see her, but I knew she had long dark hair---I can still picture this in my mind over 35 years later.

At a time when I was not pregnant, I walked past my front room, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a young boy with blond hair sitting on my couch. He was wearing jeans and a striped shirt and his feet just reached the end of the couch----I did a double take---and there was no one there---but the picture was so distinct, which is why I can describe it so well. The next child I had had was blond--but it was a girl. A bout 2 1/2 yrs later, I had a little boy, who had blond hair when he was young. I am sure that this is the child I saw on my couch. Interestingly enough, I would often refer to him as a girl instead of a boy---I don't know why I kept making that mistake--but I eventually quit. However, when he was only 13 months old, I became pregnant again. I swear I could feel this child's presence--it was as if she had a very strong spirit and wanted to make her presence known to me--and I am pretty sure i knew the presence was a girl. I don't know if this started before I was pregnant, or only after I became pregnant. I have never felt the presence of a spirit so strong before, or since. Of course, my baby was a girl---and she has always been a very strong-willed child.

My twins both had long dark hair when they were little, but chose to cut it in grade school---and their were two of them. It didn't give me an explaination for the young girl I saw as a teenager. I had an unexpected pregnancy when I was 40---learned I was pregnant the day before I turned 40. This little girl is now 9 years old and has long dark hair that hangs all the way down her back.

I have a few children that I had no experiences like these with.

I had one other experience that was interesting. I woke up one morning and had had a dream that I was pregnant, my husband told me he had also had a dram that I was pregnant. With in a short time, I had an appointment with my obgyn. When he walked into the room, he told me, "I had a dream the other night that you called and said you were pregnant." Talk about feeling like I was being given a sign! When i told this story to a friend--that is exactly what she told me, that she thought I was being given a sign----I haven't totally decided about how I believe in "signs", even though I have had experiences that definitely felt like signs---and this was one of them.

I feel like with each of these experiences I was being given a glimpse into what was to come. They felt very real to me, and I have never forgotten them.

I'm just wondering how the rest of you feel about experiences like these--are these just random happenings, are they gifts of the spirit, are they the Lord's way of preparing us for things? What about people who see auras? Are these real things that come from the Lord? Are those of us who don't see them not as "righteous" as the people who do see them, or are they just given a special gift?

i know that sacred experiences should not be spoken of freely and taken lightly, although I have often told people about the experiences I had when having my children---probably because I found them so interesting---maybe I should be more careful to who, and when i talk about them--but are they really spiritual experiences or just chance happenings? i would like to think they were a special experience the Lord allowed me to have.

O would love to hear some feed back on what the church teaches on these types of things and how other people feel about them.

Christine

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: aura, spirits, unusual experiences

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 May 2013, 14:34

I believe there are many gifts, and I know one person who can see auras and discern very quickly (and accurately) the basic "goodness" of those whose auras she sees. She doesn't see them with everyone; it's more those near the extremes. It's happened enough with "dark auras" surrounding people she didn't know and about whom she only found out through asking around that I can't dismiss it as anything but a special ability / gift.

My wife had a vision of sorts in the Celestial Room through which she saw an unborn daughter. The hair color was specific and didn't match our other children. When that daughter was born, my wife recognized her immediately - and we might not have had another child if not for that vision.

I know a woman in one area where we used to live who, sometimes, apparently randomly, could tell what sex an unborn child would be. She was well known in the area for that gift, since it was never wrong whenever it came to her.

There is SO much I don't understand but can't deny that I am very wary of rejecting similar claims automatically and out-of-hand. I believe there are fakes in all areas, but I also believe in the reality of this sort of thing.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 27 May 2013, 14:46

I believe in them and normal everyday people having them. Do they happen all the time? No, not even to people who have the gift of that reception. But they are real, not imagined. Why certain people receive them and others don't I can' say. I only know they do happen. And are one of the tethers that keep me connected to this faith. In many other faiths only certain people are allowed the privilege of these experiences, and though we rarely discuss it, we as a faith have the history to allow those "visions" in life.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 27 May 2013, 20:20

Interesting topic.

My mother is a very spiritual person and has had several experiences with her grandfather's spirit visiting and a few other times "visitors" she doesn't know.
Last edited by GodisLove on 09 Jun 2013, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 28 May 2013, 09:44

momto11 wrote:I have a sister who seems to be being drawn into mysticism----this is a subject i would like to make a new topic for, the reason I mention it, is because it brought up a discussion between another sister and I about people who see "auras" around people. i have a niece who sees this type of thing, but not all the time...Maybe some people have a "gift" of seeing auras around people, although, If it is something they don't always see, i am not sure of it's purpose...Then, I got wondering, if those of us who don't see auras around spiritual people are just not at righteous, or if it is just not a gift that we have been given.

I had one other experience that was interesting. I woke up one morning and had had a dream that I was pregnant, my husband told me he had also had a dram that I was pregnant. With in a short time, I had an appointment with my obgyn. When he walked into the room, he told me, "I had a dream the other night that you called and said you were pregnant." Talk about feeling like I was being given a sign!...I feel like with each of these experiences I was being given a glimpse into what was to come. They felt very real to me, and I have never forgotten them...I'm just wondering how the rest of you feel about experiences like these--are these just random happenings, are they gifts of the spirit, are they the Lord's way of preparing us for things?...Are these real things that come from the Lord?
I don't know what to think about auras but for a long time I interpreted several experiences of people I know involving what sounded like spirits and legitimate precognition as positive confirmation that the Church was completely true mostly because I thought they were explained much better by the Church's teachings than atheism which was really the only other option that I actually took seriously for many years. It was only after I found out that many non-Mormons have reported similar experiences without ever converting to Mormonism that I stopped reading quite so much into these experiences beyond what they suggest on the surface and I started to doubt that anyone knew for sure what they really mean and how they work. I do think some people are more likely to experience things like this than others ("sensitives") but I don't believe that they are necessarily more righteous or spiritual or that this is something people should expect because it could be the majority that will never experience anything like this no matter how hard they try to seek it out.
"Truth is what works." - William James

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 30 May 2013, 12:07

I have family members and friends who have had similar experiences like those, but I have had only one unusual experience that I can recall. In my dream life, though, I have lucid dreams quite often. I can fly and have dream characters die whenever I want.

Featherina

Post by Featherina » 10 Jul 2013, 15:02

Hi Christine,
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
It can be faith-promoting to realize how real spirituality is.

I'm also interested in this type of thing, particularly energy reading and healing.
I believe we all have this power - it's innate and part of us - we just need to get in tune.
I'm not sure what exactly "getting in tune" entails, because I do think it's a little like humble serendipity - works without expectations/force.
Yet, ironically, I also think it works by faith.

"As a man thinketh in his heart so is he."
Jesus and others taught basic metaphysics.

I've heard that psychic abilities (which Jesus also had) are simply the ability to read energy on a spiritual level.
There are some spiritual experiences that go beyond (or more extensively incorporate) one's ability to read energy - and go into the communication between spirits.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 10 Jul 2013, 15:58

I can see auras apparently round people sometimes. Weird thing is I don't really believe in them. Trees have them, inanimate objects rarely.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

roobytoos

Post by roobytoos » 31 Jul 2013, 14:27

I often have dejavu. I wonder if it's a spiritual thing or not, because it doesn't seem to have any significance. I remember being a young child, maybe 6 or 7 years old and thinking to myself that I wasn't really experiencing this life, I was a grown adult woman who was looking back at past experiences. I felt like I had already lived and was just remembering or re-experiencing everything. Unusual thoughts, I think, for a child.
Also, my husband and I had a shared vision, I don't know what else to call it, shortly after we were engaged that had some very important and symbolic meanings for us, especially over time. The only way to describe what we saw was with "other eyes" or maybe spiritual eyes, maybe like watching a movie that had the air around us as the movie screen. We could talk to each other during the experience and pointed out different things to each other. We don't discuss it often because it feels so.... sacred? special? unique? I don't share it with others much because it doesn't have meaning in others lives. It was very specific to what our life together would hold.
I cherish these things and recognize them to be gifts from God. I don't know why he gave them to me, but think it's awesome that he did. I always wonder if other people have these experiences, but haven't found a forum to discuss them with other members. Mystics are a bit to ethereal for me to understand... their explanations don't resonate for me.

Riceandbeans

Post by Riceandbeans » 09 Aug 2013, 21:24

I have noticed a really widespread and strong aversion in my church experience to any current mysticism or modern miracles that are either too recent or seem somehow dangerous . . . in my perception, visions, dreams and similar experiences often have to go through a period of curing (bleaching) to be safe for sharing in meetings. They happened in pioneer times for example. It's all very well for the saints in Kirtland to speak in tongues, but can you picture the pants-pissing panic that would ensue if such an irreverent thing were to show itself in one of our meetings today? We have enough trouble actually SHOUTing "hosanna." It was bad enough when the old black lady in my Pittsburgh congregation started singing a spiritual during her testimony. You should have seen some of the faces - and this wasn't even in Utah.

As a teenager I sat in a room while Dee Jay Bawden told a fireside group about the revelations that would pour into his mind while he worked on his sculptures, and I couldn't believe my ears. Was this allowed? Was he going to go apostate any minute?

In my first area of my mission I met a recent convert who was a visionary man. My companion didn't like visiting him, because he had had visions, and he talked about them. The whole island of Puerto Rico was full of people seeing visions, and it was a thorn in the side of straight-laced missionaries who only were willing to consider such visions as having divine providence if they led someone into the church. In this man's case that had been the case, and his visions still weirded my comp out. That's not even mentioning the lady who saw an angel who gave her some winning lotto numbers so she could build a chapel. Obviously, such things had to be of Satan, right? Anything that wasn't with us, had to be against us, hm?

Through my life I've seen a lot of attempts to make our faith rational, and I've grown sick and tired of it, especially since it has led to some really embarrassing pseudoscience - if not the same thing as Creation Science then similar: attempts to have our cake and eat it too. We back away from anything that offends the "sola scriptura" Protestants, we give our scriptures all sorts of calm scholarly treatments, but then still insist on a factual Flood? Gimme a break. We still have a lot to learn about thinking mythically, which is sad, because if the Temple really is a school of any kind, it is a school in mythical thinking. Accepting something as mythical can be tremendously liberating, because now you can access all its beautiful, colorful truth without having your fun spoiled by worrying if it can be factually proven. Myths function outside fact, outside time. You don't have to try to prove that they "really happened."

Maybe I should change my profile name to something like "JungianMormon" because C.G. Jung has meant so much to me. Reading his works over the past few years is what has helped me regain an appreciation for and a longing for mystic and spiritual experiences in all their . . . color. Color is the metaphor I keep coming up with, to try to capture this quality of vision, reveltation etc. that makes life meaningful, much more than doctrines. That gnosis has so much more color than white shirts, ties and Celestial rooms, even than the Gospel Art Kit. And it has an unruly aspect to it, which is why I see it feared by mainstream Mormons and intellectual Mormons alike.

Joseph's seer stone has become one of the things that is breathing new life into my love for the Book of Mormon. I live by a river and have collected several special stones from its banks. I haven't seen visions from any, nor do I really expect to, but holding them and feeling them, meditating on them, I feel a greater appreciation for the myth and magic that have given human lives meaning on this earth, and I see part of Joseph's unfinished work as helping Christians reclaim that color that the Protestant revolution had sapped.

So, to try to wrap this up in the interest of brevity tonight (but I really did want to comment on this, forgive me), yay for mysticism, for visions, for even weird and wacky things. Yay for the folk magic that fertilized the Restoration; here's hoping that it may too be restored one day in an improved form. I hope to continue to lead my life away from the fear of such things, whether or not I ever come to have experiences like the OP reported (what a blessing!). I have been privy to such in my own family, and I have had at least one dream that I hold as a vision from God. I want to widen my receptivity to the spiritual nourishment that comes from this earth, from living things (but also from stones), whether that comes in the form of dreams or visions or whatever. I wonder if the wish to "consume it upon your lusts" is really just the flip side of fear of the unknown.

It's true there are deceivers and charlatans, and people who do things like read auras are especially prone to ridicule because there are such caricatures, looking into crystals and cards. But as I plant my feet in the belief that some of the gifts they parody are truly real, I feel faith, hope and joy grow in me. Charity too? I think so.
“Of course, I should have known,” said Steinar. “I should have guessed that immersion alone does not take you far. What costs you nothing is worth nothing. Excuse me, but what has it cost you, if I may ask?”
“What’s that to you?” asked the bishop.
-- Halldór Laxness, Paradise Reclaimed