Do I need the Church?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Bruce in Montana

Re: Do I need the Church?

Post by Bruce in Montana » 07 Nov 2012, 22:04

Well, I certainly need the church, my wife needs the church, and our granddaughter needs the church.

But I don't attend....and I won't attend.

Maybe someday the church will come clean on it's history...but I doubt it. It seems that everyone that explores it honestly ends up leaving out of disgust.

All is not well in Zion. Its very sad.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-William S.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Nov 2012, 22:10

It seems that everyone that explores it honestly ends up leaving out of disgust.

I love you, Bruce, but don't throw that kind of insult around here on this forum. Intentional or not, it's inaccurate and not appreciated.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

wayfarer

Do I need the Church?

Post by wayfarer » 08 Nov 2012, 03:07

Bruce in Montana wrote:Maybe someday the church will come clean on it's history...but I doubt it. It seems that everyone that explores it honestly ends up leaving out of disgust.

Let me cite one example, that after learning for years all about church history, and having journeyed through most major faith traditions, that I am LDS to stay and not leaving in disgust.

While there is an objective set of problems with the narrowness of church dogma today, the church is what I make of it. Recognizing that we are all humans trying to make it day-by-day in this world, the church fills a vital need for me as a community of saints: that is, those trying to seek inspiration and living by it. The humanity of the church means that like all scripture, it is a mix of the human and the divine. As we are all free agents with power of discernment, we are capable of taking what we interpret as divine, and leaving the rest behind.

I also believe, that as we share in a bit of further light and knowledge -- that the church's stories are myths meant to teach -- we can rise above literalism to share our love for one another without dwelling on the pettiness that comes along with literalism.

This is Paul's more excellent way: to love one another and to serve one another in that love. I know of no better organization for me than the church that gives every member the opportunity to serve.

We can criticize, for example, home and visiting teaching as an artificial numbers game, or we can seize the spirit of compassionate service to make a difference. We can complain that the church cuts costs for janitorial service, or we can find humility and love in cleaning toilets, anonymously serving those who will be grateful for a clean toilet.

Divinity in the church is not to be found in grand promises of eternal glory and prophetic perfection, but rather, in the mundane moments of nurturing one another.

Yeah, I need the church, now more than ever.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

BeLikeChrist

Post by BeLikeChrist » 08 Nov 2012, 15:24

My faith crisis didn't involve delving into church history but as i sought support i saw some who had a faith crisis because of their interpretation of history and it really is unfortunate but my saving grace was seeing the beauty of the doctrine and principles taught in the lds standard works brought forth by the saints in the early days of the church. that to me is what i marvel at !

mackay11

Do I need the Church?

Post by mackay11 » 10 Nov 2012, 05:31

wayfarer wrote:
Bruce in Montana wrote:Maybe someday the church will come clean on it's history...but I doubt it. It seems that everyone that explores it honestly ends up leaving out of disgust.

Let me cite one example, that after learning for years all about church history, and having journeyed through most major faith traditions, that I am LDS to stay and not leaving in disgust.

While there is an objective set of problems with the narrowness of church dogma today, the church is what I make of it. Recognizing that we are all humans trying to make it day-by-day in this world, the church fills a vital need for me as a community of saints: that is, those trying to seek inspiration and living by it. The humanity of the church means that like all scripture, it is a mix of the human and the divine. As we are all free agents with power of discernment, we are capable of taking what we interpret as divine, and leaving the rest behind.

I also believe, that as we share in a bit of further light and knowledge -- that the church's stories are myths meant to teach -- we can rise above literalism to share our love for one another without dwelling on the pettiness that comes along with literalism.

This is Paul's more excellent way: to love one another and to serve one another in that love. I know of no better organization for me than the church that gives every member the opportunity to serve.

We can criticize, for example, home and visiting teaching as an artificial numbers game, or we can seize the spirit of compassionate service to make a difference. We can complain that the church cuts costs for janitorial service, or we can find humility and love in cleaning toilets, anonymously serving those who will be grateful for a clean toilet.

Divinity in the church is not to be found in grand promises of eternal glory and prophetic perfection, but rather, in the mundane moments of nurturing one another.

Yeah, I need the church, now more than ever.
Wayfarer... This is a genuinely beautiful post and I really appreciate your wonderful words. What a perfect way to prepare myself on a Saturday evening to remember to look for the positives when I attend tomorrow.

Again, thank you.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Nov 2012, 08:19

Someone on my personal blog left a comment that made me think of this thread:
I think that we can become closer to God in any circumstances. Having medical problems that haven't allowed me to attend church for almost 6 months, and may continue for at least another 6, could lead to a falling away IF my testimony was based on church attendance. Luckily, it isn't, and The Lord continues to validate my worth by inspiring my to do His work, in ways that my limitations still allow.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 15 Nov 2012, 15:51

See my new signature! :smile:
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby