What Would You Say?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mercyngrace

Re: What Would You Say?

Post by mercyngrace » 23 Sep 2012, 16:24

So... irony.

I posted last night that I have no idea what I would say because I already teach so much and this morning just before church as I was sitting reviewing my RS lesson, a member of the bishopric asked me to speak in sacrament mtg in 3 weeks.

So if that was inspiration, God, you have a twisted sense of humor. LOL.

Or if my bishopric knows who I am online and where I post (doubtful), Paul you're not funny. Haha.

Once I get the email with the topic details and such, I'll be open to suggestions from my staylds family :)
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

Featherina

Post by Featherina » 26 Sep 2012, 07:32

A talk I would give would be about a hidden danger.
It is not Apostacy, it is not Theology worship, but it is giving up one's free agency to adopt a group's belief.

How many people have been hung, beheaded or otherwise publically persecuted by one single person?
None that I can think of, besides people who end up either getting killed or imprisoned.
The hidden danger is when people give up THINKING & common sense, to adopt a group's beliefs, no matter how illogical & harmful they are.
Jesus is considered to be the most loving person to ever live, but he also didn't try to win a popularity contest. He didn't worship any group. He didn't blindly obey what to think, say or do. He carved his own course, based on goodness, truth... & encouraged us to do the same.

God is about truth and light, not lies and darkness.
Worshipping God above all, requires pursuing what is true and good, putting aside worshipping people, no matter how popular the opinions are.
Why worship God above all? Because all else will fail.

"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life (pride) shall lose it: and he that loseth his life (pride) for my sake shall find it." -Matt 10:36-39

church0333

Post by church0333 » 26 Sep 2012, 13:41

I have written my talk "Welcome to the greatest buffet in town" many times in my mind. Here are a few of the high lights:
It's my opinion that it is the greatest buffet in town but I realize it not the only buffet in town.
You don't have to eat everything that is offered but that there is usually something for every taste.
The crab salad sign would have changed from "Best crab salad" to "best crab salad* see managements for details" to "imitation crab salad"**sorry about the confusion.
If meat and potatoes are your thing we have plenty and we are known for our secret family recipe. Again I would have to use an * making it public that we borrowed many ideas from other recipes and have tried to keep it secret. but still our product is very good.
We reserve the right to refuse service.
Not all ethic foods on on the buffet at this time but we hope to include more at a later date.
Management does change from time to time so not all menu items will always be the same.
The price to eat is high and the service can be bad at times.
All that said, I still thinks its the best buffet in town and I usually look forward to partaking almost every week.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 26 Sep 2012, 14:04

church0333 wrote:It's my opinion that it is the greatest buffet in town but I realize it not the only buffet in town.
:thumbup:
church0333 wrote:You don't have to eat everything that is offered but that there is usually something for every taste.
The crab salad sign would have changed from "Best crab salad" to "best crab salad* see managements for details" to "imitation crab salad"**sorry about the confusion.
If meat and potatoes are your thing we have plenty and we are known for our secret family recipe. Again I would have to use an * making it public that we borrowed many ideas from other recipes and have tried to keep it secret. but still our product is very good.
I like this too...sometimes keeping the secret recipe helps the marketing. There is value in it, especially when it is a real difference from other things, and not a farce such as Kung Fu Panda's secret family noodles...which was...there is no secret. While some people feel misled, like the secret wasn't as grand as they imagined it should be...but I believe there is a secret...it just is what it is, maybe not what I expected. Is there a responsibility of the holders of the "secret" to manage others' expectations? I don't know.
church0333 wrote:We reserve the right to refuse service.
:thumbup: Yep. Practical and sometimes necessary, hopefully not abused.
church0333 wrote:Management does change from time to time so not all menu items will always be the same.
This is hard for some people. Some like the food to never change, and always be as good as they remember it. Sometimes, the change is the best way to stay in business and meet more needs of customers.

:clap: Well done. I like this talk! Gives me much to think about.

I wonder how difficult a "cafeteria" message is to deliver without sounding like you are suggesting rationalization of sin. That seems to be resistance to this idea at first blush.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

wayfarer

What Would You Say?

Post by wayfarer » 26 Sep 2012, 14:35

Responding to the OP, I am very touched by this.

Thank you meowclaw and god bless you!
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

greenapples

Post by greenapples » 02 Oct 2012, 00:07

I don't know exactly what I would say. I think my talk would be on personal scripture study, which includes that quotes and talks from the prophets of the past. It is important to have a personal intellect and to decide for yourself what God's plan is.
GREENAPPLES IS REDCROWN27

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Oct 2012, 00:06

The topic of homosexuality needs to be addressed in a thread about that topic, not in this thread.

Featherina, please copy your comment into an existing thread about homosexuality or as a new post, so we can delete it from this thread.

Everyone else, please do not comment in this thread about that topic. Once it is in the proper place, we will delete it and the comments about it from this thread.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 10 Oct 2012, 06:00

I split the thread and created a new one for the topic on the nature of homosexuality. It is located here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3704

Let's keep this one on track. The topic for this thread is: what would you say if you could give a talk on anything in your heart in sacrament meeting.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 09 May 2018, 13:54

Bump :P

1. What We Do Now Theme: I think I would start from the principle "I'm Too Busy Working On My Own Grass to Notice If Yours Is Greener". Concepts of "Doing" and "Becoming" would also get worked in from President Oak's "The Challenge to Become" talk. Then I would include President Utchdorf's "Don't Judge Me Because I Sin Differently" and his "Stop It" quotes.

2. Loving Others: Start with the 2 Great Commandments, throw in at least 1 quote from Mother Theresa and/or Cheiko Okazaki, then move into President Wirthlin's "Concern for the One" talk. Talk about how loving people freely first is so powerful - our mothers can reach us as children in part because they loved us first (and when we are the most unlovable).

Maybe this is in part why they don't ask me to speak in Sacrament Meeting... :lol: