An Afterlife?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
dande48

Re: An Afterlife?

Post by dande48 » 20 Jun 2018, 12:01

NightSG wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 09:32
I know me and there's no way I would have done that without hanging on to some cheat codes.
Just wait... one of these days you're going to hit just the right combination... A,B,A,B,LEFT,RIGHT,LEFT,RIGHT,START... and *POOF!*, infinite money.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 21 Jun 2018, 15:33

dande48 wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 20:21
A few months back, I saw this comic by Abtruse Goose. I thought it was fitting. :) What if you ARE personally God, only you don't remember because you decided to thrust yourself into a limited body and blanket all your memories and knowledge... because you were BORED. It doesn't seem too far fetched.
I heard a lecture by Alan Watts, a 60s new age philosopher, on the nature of god. He proposed that God pushed a 'random existence generator button', and here we are; living this existence, all of us gods who don't remember pushing the button.

I also found this on another philosophy of his, that matched your cartoon (maybe that's where they got it)

https://consciouslifenews.com/god-bored ... s/1181811/

---

I don't know if I would have chosen to come here with the body I got lol
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 21 Jun 2018, 16:43

Not God a politically, kingly sense, but God in the sense of being the self – that deep down basic whatever there is. And, you’re all that. Only you’re pretending you’re not.
Fascinating thoughts. I love it.

As far as what the afterlife would be...the 3 degress of glory, waking up from a mortal dream like state, nothing........

...we really don't know, do we? Maybe we are gods and can create the afterlife to be whatever we wish it to be. Whatever helps us become our best selves now, today, in this life. The afterlife is not real. Today is real.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 21 Jun 2018, 19:45

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 15:33
I heard a lecture by Alan Watts, a 60s new age philosopher, on the nature of god. He proposed that God pushed a 'random existence generator button', and here we are; living this existence, all of us gods who don't remember pushing the button.
Alan Watts was quite a guy! I hadn't heard that particular lecture, but he's given quite a few that follows along those lines. He's really helped me to come to terms with, and be ok even if there is no "afterlife", as we call it. I remember a lecture, where he states that Jesus' greatest epitome, the height of his doctrine, was "I am a child of God, and so are all of you". That really there is no you as separate from me, as we are all simply aspects of one great whole. This mind and body, yes, will come to an end. But since I'm the universe, I can't really die. My death is not much more than the death of a cell, or the shedding of skin. The whole remains, to experience itself (my self), again and again, countless times at once, and countless more again.

Which afterlife sounds better? Learning everything, knowing everything even before it happens, having the ultimate power to create, and yet knowing how all your creations will turn out... grow a beard and be worshiped, have anything you could possibly imagine... no struggle, no conflict, no worries or tears. It sounds awfully boring to me. I'd opt for experiencing everything anew.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Jun 2018, 19:57

no struggle, no conflict, no worries or tears.
Fwiw, that isn't the God of Mormonism. Just saying. :smile:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 22 Jun 2018, 02:31

Alan Watts is a fascinating character - I disagree about drugs with him given how many are destroyed by them - and had some amazing ideas.

I'll start up a new thread.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 22 Jun 2018, 11:00

dande48 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 19:45
Alan Watts was quite a guy! I hadn't heard that particular lecture, but he's given quite a few that follows along those lines.
I couldn't find the original source for my memory, maybe that's what I got out of the ideas being presented. So I'll claim it a my own philosophy! :)
Curt Sunshine wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 19:57
no struggle, no conflict, no worries or tears.
Fwiw, that isn't the God of Mormonism. Just saying. :smile:
Lol maybe it is; a God who rests on the seventh day :)
Mormonism, and all Christianity, and well, humankind, has tried to define and categorize god. Even from a tbm standpoint as I learned about god and defined him, there were always things/ideas/facets that didn't fit into the box. I chocked those up to god being incomprehensible to man, but maybe it is that God doesn't want to be pigeonholed.

I only grow after my assumptions have been dashed to pieces.
SamBee wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 02:31
Alan Watts is a fascinating character - I disagree about drugs with him given how many are destroyed by them - and had some amazing ideas.
We should start a Timothy Leary thread.
Heber13 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 16:43
...we really don't know, do we? Maybe we are gods and can create the afterlife to be whatever we wish it to be. Whatever helps us become our best selves now, today, in this life. The afterlife is not real. Today is real.
No, we don't. There were times I said I know, yet what I was saying is I believe, I have faith, I hope.

It came down to me that which I know is small, simple, and comes from within.

There is a saying in zen buddhism (paraphrasing) that's says in the process of becoming enlightened mountains are no longer mountains, trees are no longer trees; once you reach enlightenment, mountains are once again mountains and trees once again trees.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.