A United Church of Canada Experience

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
canadiangirl

A United Church of Canada Experience

Post by canadiangirl » 31 Jan 2011, 21:56

I'm not sure if any of you believe in synchronicity BUT I had a very interesting coincidence happen this week that led to a beautiful experience that I'd like to tell you about.

Two Sundays ago, my family and I were driving past the little United Church on our way to a farewell for a cousin and I said outloud, "I'd sure like to go to one of their meetings, I think it would be interesting." Low and behold the following week I get a call from an LDS youth choir director who needs an accompanist for the next Sunday as their regular will be out of town and the United Church had asked them to perform during their service. OK how remarkable is that!! So of course I accepted and what I experienced was delightful.

I loved the service. The minister was very charasmatic, the topic was the Beatitudes and I liked his take on them, and he could sing!! He led the congregation in the singing and it was fabulous. It is a very small congregation. Our choir of about 20 filled one half of the chapel while the regulars filled the rest. They had coffee and cookies after :clap: (They provided hot chocolate and juice to accomodate our religious beliefs ;) My favorite part was when the minister said, "and Jesus invites us to relieve the suffering of others." "Invites" is such a gentle word.

That was at 9am and then I went to my 3hour block at 1pm. Ward conference. The bishop spoke on committment and all of us needing to be more committed to our callings etc. The SP spoke on being a zion people. I was exhausted by the end of the block.

The United Church congregation needs a fill in pianist periodically and I offered my services. They seemed delighted and I will be happy to experience something as uplifting as that service every so often.

CG

Tom Haws

Re: A United Church of Canada Experience

Post by Tom Haws » 31 Jan 2011, 22:05

This is awesome, CG. Sometimes a little breath of fresh air is just what the StayLDS doctor ordered. Remember, a Latter-day Saint who attends the ward around 50% to 75% of the time is an active Latter-day Saint.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

doug

Post by doug » 31 Jan 2011, 22:17

:thumbup:
The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

macalla

Post by macalla » 31 Jan 2011, 23:34

Beautiful experience! :smile:
That's very touching that they made allowances for you even with the refreshments! Very Christlike and tolerant/understanding.

I've often wondered if this is what it's like for investigators when they visit a mormon service. We're so accepting of non-members.

I've had similar experiences every time I've visited another church, without exception. I suspect part of this is because I'm seeing others' religions with open eyes and a ready, willing heart. I have no reason to be cynical when the church is not my own. I'm sure my mind is more attune with the Spirit and open to such uplifting experiences when I'm not cynical ;) I wish I could find a way to allow my mind to be open like that in my YSA ward.

I wonder what my experience there would be like if I could show up one day as an investigator, having never heard anything about the LDS church before. What would stand out, what would I relate to, what would I consider strange? I'm confident that it would be different.
The world is quiet here.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 01 Feb 2011, 00:01

macalla wrote:I wonder what my experience there would be like if I could show up one day as an investigator, having never heard anything about the LDS church before. What would stand out, what would I relate to, what would I consider strange? I'm confident that it would be different.
I can remember my first sacrament meeting. I thought it was crazy how LOUD everyone was in the meeting. Babies making noise, people talking -- very unlike the stilted yet reverent atmosphere in the United Church of Canada where I grew up.

It was strange to see so many rank and file people (lay ministry) getting up and talking. I was used to a formal minister.

The thing I remember the most was how BUSY everyone was. In the United Church of Canada,everyone was relaxed and it was all about socializing. At the LDS Church I attended, no one was really interested in talking -- they were busy getting to their classes or doing other calling-related work. I remember wondering what all the rushing around was about. I actually grew to admire how involved everyone was as I got used to the meetings.

Things haven't changed much since then -- it's the same pattern each week.

Overall, I liked it.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

flower

Post by flower » 01 Feb 2011, 19:05

Sounds very nice! I have been interested in experiencing church services of other faiths, but my husband will not support this. I thought maybe it could be a fun tradition to find a different churches to attend while we were on vacation. We travel a lot and usually don't attend any services while away. We love to travel and experience different cultures and people, why not different faiths too?
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://tinymosquito.blogspot.com/

cwald

Post by cwald » 01 Feb 2011, 20:36

That is an awesome story.
flower wrote:.. We travel a lot and usually don't attend any services while away. We love to travel and experience different cultures and people, why not different faiths too?
I always go to Catholic mass. Perhaps I need to expand my horizons some.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby