My visit to a Unitarian Universalist church

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
flower

Re: My visit to a Unitarian Universalist church

Post by flower » 07 Feb 2011, 22:41

Tom - Your UU congregation sounds wonderful!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://tinymosquito.blogspot.com/

cwald

Post by cwald » 08 Feb 2011, 08:30

Tom Haws wrote: Where revealed religions tend to say morality is whatever the religion says it is, UU anchors on humanism to "guard against idolatries" and stick to the golden rule. For me at least, that's more absolute and unchanging than a "follow the prophet" model.
You're damn right it is.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 Feb 2011, 11:26

Tom Haws wrote: So, moral relativism, eh? This is totally a revelation for me to hear you continue to express in new nuances your impression of UU, because every time you express a distaste, it seems I have experienced the diametric opposite. In this instance, for me, UU has been an answer to the moral relativism of revealed religion. Where revealed religions tend to say morality is whatever the religion says it is, UU anchors on humanism to "guard against idolatries" and stick to the golden rule. For me at least, that's more absolute and unchanging than a "follow the prophet" model.
I guess it's another one of those paradoxes (why are there so many of them?) that "follow the leader" creates a dangerous mentality, yet I believe that "morality is what you make it to be" or "we are our own judges" (for want of better phrases) is also dangerous.

In one, you get a person who does whatever they're told, right or wrong, and in the other, you get a person whose vision of right and wrong is so blurred, that they mix the two up! For fictional examples of one and the other, "The Wave" by Todd Strasser (based on real events in California), and "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoyevsky, which while fiction seems to have been influenced by people he met.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 09 Feb 2011, 22:30

Awesome observation, SamBee. Totally on. I think the paradox is delicious.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 10 Feb 2011, 08:19

Interesting observations Sam.

I guess human logic will always have the potential of danger.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 10 Feb 2011, 10:59

I guess if anything can be learnt from that, it's to avoid extremes! We're wrong to give up all control, and wrong also perhaps to assume we always know best, and the other person/whatever doesn't.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Feb 2011, 12:42

I really like that conclusion, Sam.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken