My visit to a Unitarian Universalist church

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
macalla

My visit to a Unitarian Universalist church

Post by macalla » 31 Jan 2011, 16:38

Yesterday I skipped church and went with my nonmember bf to a Unitarian Universalist church. We had taken the Beliefnet test mentioned on this board (what religion fits your beliefs?) and both scored very high for Unitarian Universalism (me 100%, him 98%), and there just happens to be a congregation ten minutes walking distance from my house. So we decided to check it out for the heck of it.

We enjoyed it very much. It was so different from any other church we've visited. The service began with a Bon Jovi song. By chance, we visited during their annual Youth service, so there were eight "talks" given by teen members on the topic of endurance. These kids were so open and honest about their personal experiences and what endurance meant to them. After the talks there was an informal question and answer forum where the adult members posed questions to the kids at the podium. Again, the youth were incredibly honest and forthright. It took me aback when one adult asked the graduating seniors if they planned on returning to the church after college and one young man said, quite bluntly, "no." The congregation laughed; no one was upset or passed judgment on him or asked him why not. It was surreal. The whole hour-long service (yes, only 1 hour! :D ) was focused on positive morals and understanding & caring for one another through the trials in life. Not a single scripture was quoted. Not a single deity was named. No doctrine was advocated. It was about the people.

I'm not planning on joining this church (at least not yet), for several reasons. I don't know that it's any better than my own (LDS) as far as fallibility of people. I don't know that it would make me a better person. The struggle to stay in the LDS church is forcing me to grow in ways that are painful, but will ultimately help me become a better person. I don't know how long that will last though ;) And there's the little problem of keeping the peace with my mostly-TBM family :problem: At least as long as I live at home. But attending the UU church was insightful and healing, and I'm glad I was able to go, and that my bf was so supportive. The experience gave us a lot to talk about!

Here are the Unitarian Universalist Principles and Purposes from the back of my program:

We covenant to affirm and promote:
*The inherent worth and dignity of every person
*Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations
*Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
*A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
*The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
*The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
*Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part

What do you think of these principles? Have any of you had experiences with Unitarian Universalism?
The world is quiet here.

cwald

Re: My visit to a Unitarian Universalist church

Post by cwald » 31 Jan 2011, 16:55

UU was my second slot, after Buddhism.

I like the backbone of the UU church. It's not an option for me though because of my location.
macalla wrote: Here are the Unitarian Universalist Principles and Purposes from the back of my program:

*Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
*The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large

What do you think of these principles? Have any of you had experiences with Unitarian Universalism?
I think they are true. :smile:
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 31 Jan 2011, 18:19

macalla wrote:Here are the Unitarian Universalist Principles and Purposes from the back of my program:

I think these are great "articles of faith". They seem to promote goodness without organizational borders. I also relate to your concern about feeling forced to grow in ways that are painful...it's painful for me to repeatedly say "no" to service that is expected, such as moving, for example. And there are times when I feel that service is mandated through programs rather than individual passion....thanks for the view into a different world....I appreciate it very much and might check out one of their services as a mind-expansion exercise -- without a view to leaving the LDS Church, of course.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

doug

Post by doug » 31 Jan 2011, 18:39

VERY interesting. Thanks for sharing. UU was very hign on my list also (along with M Buddhism) and I've been wondering about what they're all about, besides being good fodder for Garrison Keillor's jokes.
The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

bridget_night

Post by bridget_night » 31 Jan 2011, 19:16

I attended the Unitarian church for a while. Wonderful group of people. My gay son attended one of their gay proms, Very opened minded but it was a bit too liberal for us. Plus, we were to Christ oriented and that seemed to make them uncomfortable and we could not be oursleves. then.

canadiangirl

Post by canadiangirl » 31 Jan 2011, 19:42

Macalla,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had UU as my second choice when I took the test. Liberal Quaker was first and I have no idea if there is a congregation close to me. I'll look around. I like their principles. I wonder how the practical part is played out. I feel the same as you. I'm not likely to join another church because people are people and I imagine there are difficulties everywhere.

I attended a United Church on Sunday. I'll do a separate post and tell you all about it.

CG

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 31 Jan 2011, 21:59

macalla wrote:Yesterday I skipped church
You didn't skip. :D Going UU "counts". :shh:
macalla wrote:What do you think of these principles? Have any of you had experiences with Unitarian Universalism?
:thumbup: Great principles. I am even more impressed by their Six Sources.
  • Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
  • Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
  • Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
  • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
  • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
  • Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
I have experienced a high level of nurturing when I have worshipped with the UUs in Chandler, AZ. I have decided not to become a member at this time, but they will always have a special place in my heart, and will continue to be one of my homes.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

cwald

Post by cwald » 01 Feb 2011, 08:08

Tom Haws wrote:

:thumbup: Great principles. I am even more impressed by their Six Sources.
  • Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
  • Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
  • Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
  • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
  • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
  • Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
I love it.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 01 Feb 2011, 11:57

I've no time for it at all really.

It's like a country club where no one believes in sport.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 02 Feb 2011, 20:51

SamBee wrote:It's like a country club where no one believes in sport.
Says you. ;) I'm just saying. One man's belief is another man's heresy.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com