Feeling the Sacramental Prayer

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Feeling the Sacramental Prayer

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 May 2010, 19:13

A deaf man blessing the sacrament came up in a comment on another thread. I am providing a link here to one of the most incredible posts about the sacrament (and so much more) that I have read, entitled, "Ninety-One Words".

This is not a post to discuss the sacrament, per se. Rather, I am posting it simply to share it with everyone and have a place to discuss the message it presents.

http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/20 ... one-words/
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Re: Feeling the Sacramental Prayer

Post by SamBee » 28 May 2010, 01:44

I'll repeat what I said on the other thread.

People often don't realise that sign languages are proper languages in their own right, which have gone through processes of evolution and have their own slang, accents/dialects and abbreviations. There's even some humor in them (also some very un-pc stuff, like in some sign languages, Jews are represented by a finger hooked over the bottom of the nose)

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that they're not just signed versions of spoken languages such as English. There is actually something called signed English, and finger spelling but these are different from sign languages. In other words, proper sign languages are as much languages as Swahili or Urdu, which are no doubt used to bless the sacrament elsewhere.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 May 2010, 06:51

I agree, Sam - but that wasn't the point of the post. :) I want to focus on the link I provided - and the idea of the difference between just reciting/hearing the words and actually feeling the message.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 May 2010, 08:10

It's worth mentioning though Ray, people tend to think that sign language is just an extension of what they use. A signed sacrament blessing is still a sacrament blessing.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 May 2010, 08:27

Amen, Sam. Abso-freaking-lutely, Amen!

Nathan

Post by Nathan » 28 May 2010, 09:35

Ray,

This is a powerful account and illustration of what the sacrament can mean. For those who embrace the relatively recent development of sacramental doctrine--that by partaking we are renewing our covenants--it might be helpful to consider that to partake without a reverential focus (since our baptismal covenants are included) may be akin to taking in vain the Lord's name (upon us).

Your story makes me think about what it means to love God with our minds. Obviously, loving with our minds is an impulse that leads some to a forum such as this. Joseph Smith, describing faith as a principle of power in the School of the Prophets attempted to capture this mystical notion with the phrase "mental exertion". Similarly, the word "remember" plays a fundamental role in the meaning we ascribe to these 91 words. I currently teach early morning seminary (to a class of 26 who meet on post), and the repetitive use of "remember" in Helaman 5.12 (scripture mastery) deserves to inform not only our faith in, but also our love for God. I make it a matter of earnest prayer that God will teach me to love with my mind more fully.

Again, your story helps reinforce for me these convictions. Thank you.

Nathan

findingmyownfooting

Post by findingmyownfooting » 28 May 2010, 10:47

I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing it Ray. I think that when ever anyone has to do something that may take a little more work than others that it gives us a chance to appreciate that thing a little more.
Religion has the power to use the amazing abilities of our mind. When a person truly believes the act of practising something will bring them happiness then putting into practise that belief WILL bring them happiness.

PressingForward

Post by PressingForward » 28 May 2010, 14:43

I don't know if I'm just hormonal... or what... :lol: :D but that story was AWESOME. I will most definitely share it along, thanks for posting this.