Sacrament Meeting Talk - Knowing, Going, Doing (1 Nephi 3:7)

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Sacrament Meeting Talk - Knowing, Going, Doing (1 Nephi 3:7)

Post by AmyJ » 10 Feb 2020, 07:02

This past Sunday I taught in R.S. (see other thead) and I spoke in Sacrament (for the first time in almost 5 years in a branch where my husband has already spoke 3 times).

I included quotes from President Joseph Worthlin's talk "Concern for the One" and Sister Eubank's talk "Christ: The Light that Shines in Darkness"
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e?lang=eng I got the call Monday night to speak on Sunday, which was shorter notice then I believe is typical.

After preparing my talk Wednesday, I emailed and got authorization to include quotes from Yoda and Dr. Seuss. My husband and mom were surprised I asked. I did it so that if people fussed about it, I could say that I had gotten authorization to do so (and was not as apostate as feared). I also wanted to give the Branch President (who was the speaker after me) something to connect with if he wanted to.

Thankfully, a wonderful family let my daughters and myself sit with them so that I could go up to the stand for my 10 minutes without my daughters coming with me (which almost happened with the 3 year old).

I tried really hard to include content that the Primary children would get without being condescending to them (hence the Yoda and Dr. Seuss). One of my Achievement Day girls wrote a note expressing her gratitude for my talk and appreciation for being her leader, so my joy is full.

The Branch President and the former ward clerk both complimented me on my talk - but I am not entirely certain that it has more to do with who they are then what I said. <shrugs>.

My personal bet is that this was not a comfortable talk to hear, and it will be another 5 years before they think to call me to speak in church again. :P
Last edited by AmyJ on 10 Feb 2020, 07:11, edited 4 times in total.

AmyJ

Re: Sacrament Meeting Talk - Knowing, Going, Doing (1 Nephi 3:7)

Post by AmyJ » 10 Feb 2020, 07:03

Introduction
[ Insert Funny Story Here]

Verse
“And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”

Reverse Order
Know, Go, Do

Knowing
• It’s a fact in how you perceive things. “I know this…”
• It’s a foundation to build from. “Because I know this…”
• It’s a community builder if surrounded by like-minded people. It’s a community breaker if a person doesn’t believe the same things as the like-minded people and feels/perceives judgement from others for it.

Part of the story of Nephi’s relationship with Laman and Lemuel is about how Nephi deals with what his brothers “know” and act how they act on that. Nephi goes from an “Us vs. Them” mentality (understandably when one’s life is on the line” to being a leader (post storm pre-New World landing). Even after years of warfare and strife, Nephi loves his brothers and mourns that there is warfare between their peoples.

“They [People like us] may look, act, think, and speak differently than those around them and that sometimes causes them to assume they don’t fit in. They conclude that they are not needed.” President Joseph B. Wirthlin April 2008, Concern for the One

“Tied to this misconception is the erroneous belief that all members of the Church should look, talk, and be alike. The Lord did not people the earth with a vibrant orchestra of personalities only to value the piccolos of the world. Every instrument is precious and adds to the complex beauty of the symphony. All of Heavenly Father’s children are different in some degree, yet each has his own beautiful sound that adds depth and richness to the whole.” – President Joseph B. Wirthlin April 2008, Concern for the One

How do we deal with others who don’t know what we know?

Going/Trying
• Finding Motivation.
• Setting Priorities.
• Planning how to do something.

“It’s easy to feel overwhelmed. With all the pressures and demands on our time and the stress we face each day, it’s little wonder we get tired. Many feel discouraged because they have not measured up to their potential. Others simply feel too weak to contribute. And so, as the flock moves on, gradually, almost imperceptibly, some fall behind.” – President Joseph B. Wirthlin April 2008, Concern for the One

What do we do when we don’t feel like going or trying?

“Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! /There are points to be scored. There are games to be won.
And the magical things you can do with that ball / will make you the winning-est winner of all.
Fame! You'll be as famous as famous can be, / with the whole wide world watching you win on TV.

“Except when they don't / Because, sometimes they won't.
I'm afraid that sometimes / you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win / 'cause you'll play against you.””
- Dr. Seuss

Nephi found motivation from his faith that he was doing God’s will. Even though it took several attempts, Nephi remained focused on his priority of getting the plates and developing the plans to do so.

“I testify you are beloved. The Lord knows how hard you are trying. You are making progress. Keep going. He sees all your hidden sacrifices and counts them to your good and the good of those you love. Your work is not in vain. You are not alone. His very name, Emmanuel, means “God with us.” He is surely with you.” – Sister Sharon Eubank April 2019, Christ: The Light That Shines in Darkness

“To all who are weary, let the comforting words of the Savior console you: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Let us rely on that promise. The power of God can infuse our spirits and bodies with energy and vigor. I urge you to seek this blessing from the Lord.” – President Joseph B. Wirthlin April 2008, Concern for the One

Doing
• Acting to accomplish something.
• Judging results – comparing against the results of others, comparing against the desired result.

What can we do to judge our performance our “doing” or the “doing of others” accurately?

Sometimes there is a measured benchmark to obtain (a set of plates for example), and sometimes there isn’t.

“The question is not whether we will trip and fall but, rather, how will we respond? Some, after making mistakes, stray from the fold. This is unfortunate. Do you not know that the Church is a place for imperfect people to gather together—even with all their mortal frailties—and become better? Every Sunday in every meetinghouse throughout the world, we find mortal, imperfect men, women, and children who meet together in brotherhood and charity, striving to become better people, to learn of the Spirit, and to lend encouragement and support to others. I am not aware of any sign on the door of our meetinghouses that reads “Restricted Entrance—Perfect People Only.” – President Joseph B. Wirthlin April 2008, Concern for the One

““Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” The Lord says emphatically: he or she “who has repented of … sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more.” In essence: Come, let us reason together. You made mistakes; all come short. Come unto me and repent. I will remember the sin no more. You can be whole again. I have a work for you to do.” Sister Sharon Eubank April 2019, Christ: The Light That Shines in Darkness

Question Review
  • How do we deal with others who don’t know what we know?
  • What do we do when we don’t feel like going or trying?
  • What can we do to judge our performance our “doing” accurately?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Feb 2020, 07:55

Thanks for sharing. I also like Wirthlin's Concern for the One and have quoted from it frequently (almost as much as Uchtdorf's Come, Join With Us). I have quoted Obi Wan, Dr. Seuss, Tolkien, Dickens (GBH quoted him a lot) and others, and I never ask "permission" (and I've never had to ask for forgiveness, not that I would have). If you pay attention in GC, many of them quote very liberally and often from literature. I don't see any concerns with this talk, I wish I could have been there because it's better than what I got in my own SM yesterday.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 13 Feb 2020, 14:05

I agree that it sounds wonderful. The quotes might perk up the ears of some bored listeners and help them engage with your message.

The song I am a child of God originally said ""Teach me all that I must know / To live with him someday". Apostle Spencer W. Kimball asked the Primary general board if it could be changed to "Teach me all that I must do / To live with him someday". As Kimball later explained, "To know isn't enough. The devils know and tremble; the devils know everything. We have to do something."

I don't disagree with the logic of SWK but still, Knowing and Going are important precursors to Doing. If we just skip straight to the doing then we are missing steps (and thus we might fall into the trap of doing the right things for the wrong reasons).
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13