Relief Society Lesson - Discipleship & Ministering as the Savior Does

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Relief Society Lesson - Discipleship & Ministering as the Savior Does

Post by AmyJ » 13 Jan 2020, 09:19

This week's lesson was based on Elder Vinson's talk "True Disciples of the Savior" and Sister Bingham's talk "Ministering as the Savior Does".

The class was really quiet and go through the material really quickly.

The saving grace of the meeting was the unplanned discussion on what discipleship looked like for Lehi's wife. :lol:
Key Points Included:
  • That being told to go out of Jerusalem was comparable to being told the family was going to live off the grid starting in 2 days without being a part of the planning process.
  • That she probably fussed at Lehi BECAUSE she knew her sons and knew of the violence and disagreements that could erupt between them. She had probably been mediating for the family for a very long time.
  • Having all her children return home with the plates solidified her discipleship.

AmyJ

Re: Relief Society Lesson - Discipleship & Ministering as the Savior Does

Post by AmyJ » 13 Jan 2020, 09:20

True Disciples of the Savior/Ministering as the Savior Does
Elder Terence M. Vinson/Jean B. Bingham

Overview
Today we are talking about discipleship as taught by Elder Vinson and Sister Bingham.

Group Question with Writing on the Board
What do you feel are some characteristics of a Disciple of Jesus Christ?

Characteristics of a Disciple (Elder Vinson):
Prioritizing the Things of God above the Things of No Eternal Consequence. (Paragraph 5)
QUOTE 1: “I love the example of the correct attitude shown by King Lamoni’s father. You’ll remember his initial anger at finding his son being accompanied by Ammon, a Nephite—a people whom the Lamanites hated. He drew his sword to contend with Ammon and soon found Ammon’s sword at his own throat. “Now the king, fearing he should lose his life, said: If thou wilt spare me I will grant unto thee whatsoever thou wilt ask, even to half of the kingdom.”

Note his offer—half his kingdom for his life.

- Elder Terence M. Vinson, “True Disciples of the Savior”, October 2019

QUOTE 2: “But later, after understanding the gospel, he made another offer. “The king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy.”

This time, he was prepared to give up all his kingdom, because the gospel was worth more than all he had!

Committed to living the gospel. (Paragraph 9)
QUOTE 3: “We can feel enduring joy when our Savior and His gospel become the framework around which we build our lives.”

Finding Joy in Connecting with God (Paragraph 15 & 16)
QUOTE 4: “Giving our all doesn’t mean that we will be continually enveloped in blessings or always have success. But it does mean that we will have joy. Joy is not fleeting pleasure or even temporary happiness. Joy is enduring and is founded on our efforts being accepted by the Lord.”

Characteristics of a Disciple (Sister Bingham):
Giving Service to Others
QUOTE 5: “But He also smiled at, talked with, walked with, listened to, made time for, encouraged, taught, fed, and forgave. He served family and friends, neighbors and strangers alike, and He invited acquaintances and loved ones to enjoy the rich blessings of His gospel. Those “simple” acts of service and love provide a template for our ministering today.”
- Sister Jean B. Bingham, “Ministering as the Savior Does”, April 2018

QUOTE 6: “No matter our age, when we consider how to minister most effectively, we ask, “What does she [or he] need?” Coupling that question with a sincere desire to serve, we are then led by the Spirit to do what would lift and strengthen the individual. I have heard countless stories of brothers and sisters who were blessed by a simple gesture of inclusion and welcome at church, a thoughtful email or text message, a personal contact at a difficult time, an invitation to participate in a group activity, or an offer to help with a challenging situation. Single parents, new converts, less-active members, widows and widowers, or struggling youth may need extra attention and priority help from ministering brothers and sisters.”

It’s a communal effort – she includes working with others to fulfill needs.
Backstory about a woman who was diagnosed with cancer and her ward helped out in different diverse ways.

QUOTE 7: “As time passed, the ward continued their service, adding and adapting where necessary. It was clearly a labor of love, each member giving of him or herself, unitedly showing caring in individual ways that blessed not only the suffering sister but each member of her family.

After a valiant effort, the sister finally succumbed to the cancer and was laid to rest. Did the ward breathe a sigh of relief and consider the job well done and well over? No, the young women continue to walk the dog daily, the priesthood quorums continue to minister to the father and his family, and the Relief Society sisters continue to reach out in love to ascertain strengths and needs. Brothers and sisters, this is ministering—this is loving as the Savior does!”

Key Characteristics of Discipleship include Connecting with God and Connecting with Others

How can we measure our progress as disciples of Jesus Christ?

Triangulation Example
In giving us the 2 great commandments (Loving God and Loving Others), Jesus taught us 2 important reference points we can use as triangulation points to spiritually measure our success. As we thoughtfully love others and connect with God, we become better disciples of Jesus Christ.

Personal Reflection
“So what should our attitude be if we are true disciples of Christ? And what is the gospel worth to us when we do “consider [our] ways,” as Haggai suggested?”

Roy

Post by Roy » 13 Jan 2020, 17:58

I very much like these lessons. We can be known as disciples because of how we show love one to another.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Jan 2020, 18:22

I love the insights about Sariah.

In my lesson, one of the girls said she followed Levi because she had no real choice. She was his wife, and that's what wives did.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken