Siding with the "bad guys" / Modern English BoM

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Beefster

Siding with the "bad guys" / Modern English BoM

Post by Beefster » 11 Oct 2017, 21:48

I don't think there is anything magical to reading the BoM, which is why I'm taking a different approach this time around.

I've sort of on and off been working on a plainer English version of the BoM. I just finished Lehi's Dream yesterday. I might publish it someday (and slap a massive disclaimer on it to say that it isn't backed by revelation and is not intended to replace the BoM, just in case it isn't obvious to TBM readers). We'll see.

Anyway, it has been an interesting experience trying to reword and punctuate the scriptures to read better to modern eyes/ears. Some passages are really tricky. Some things are hard to reword, such as anywhere where "exceedingly" appears. Others are easy, for instance, "and it came to pass" is trivial to edit out.

I've also sort of picked up an attitude of siding with the "bad guys," which I guess is influenced by some of the recent discussions here. Laman and Lemuel are very misunderstood and Nephi is a self-righteous punk who seems to think he is better than his brothers because he does exactly what his dad tells him to do, without question. I can see why he really pissed them off in every instance where it occurred. Lehi was extremely harsh on L&L, which makes me wonder: if he had been more empathetic and understanding of them, would they have stayed with the family? If they had been given hugs instead of chastisement for being different, would it have made a difference?
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

nibbler

Re: Siding with the "bad guys" / Modern English BoM

Post by nibbler » 12 Oct 2017, 05:02

Beefster wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 21:48
I don't think there is anything magical to reading the BoM...
I don't know about that... whenever I read it, it appears to have the power to put me to sleep.

And yes, that was one of the first things that leapt out at me when I read the BoM where I didn't let the book tell me who the good and bad guys were.

Change the context a little. What if Lehi and Nephi were super into a religion that members 'know' to be false? Like Lehi and Nephi were Scientologists that were super convinced they had the truth and L&L were trying to juggle following what they knew to be true and honoring their parents at the same time. And the angel they saw wasn't an angel, it was just David Miscavige and Nephi was so smitten by his presence that he referred to him as an angel.
“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”
― Patrick Rothfuss

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”
― Nathaniel Hawthorne

DarkJedi

Re: Siding with the "bad guys" / Modern English BoM

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Oct 2017, 15:31

nibbler wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 05:02
Beefster wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 21:48
I don't think there is anything magical to reading the BoM...
I don't know about that... whenever I read it, it appears to have the power to put me to sleep.

And yes, that was one of the first things that leapt out at me when I read the BoM where I didn't let the book tell me who the good and bad guys were.

Change the context a little. What if Lehi and Nephi were super into a religion that members 'know' to be false? Like Lehi and Nephi were Scientologists that were super convinced they had the truth and L&L were trying to juggle following what they knew to be true and honoring their parents at the same time. And the angel they saw wasn't an angel, it was just David Miscavige and Nephi was so smitten by his presence that he referred to him as an angel.
Nibbler tried to fool me into reading the Book of Mormon as a sleep aid once. It didn't work. I think reading the BoM is just Nibbler's orthodox side poking out.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction