Anybody else watch Messiah (Netflix)?

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
DarkJedi

Anybody else watch Messiah (Netflix)?

Post by DarkJedi » 16 Feb 2020, 13:08

I finished the last episode of season 1 today. I can't wait for season 2.

I like that it's a great mix of faith (with some faith crisis thrown in, but I won't spoil that), international intrigue complete with spies, and just plain interesting human stories. Occasional f-bombs, some blood. Although they left the church (and all major churches) out of it, the US president is Mormon and al Masih appears to be Muslim (although he never says so).

Also interesting from the point of view of what if the Messiah did return in a way like this? He didn't come the first time in the way the Jews expected, I think it very plausible he won't come the second time the way we expect (and what we are taught is not what early Christians, who also expected his return, thought).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Re: Anybody else watch Messiah (Netflix)?

Post by Roy » 16 Feb 2020, 17:52

I have not yet watched it but I will give it a look. I am in a sci-fi binge (with a heavy dose of end of times) at the moment.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 17 Feb 2020, 12:50

I watched the pilot episode last night. It is a fascinating take on what might happen if a messiah figure were to be born in our own time. He upends the established order by openly inviting women to follow him and saying things like "forget all that you thought you knew about God and the order of the kingdom."

(there are hints that this messiah figure might be a reincarnation of Jesus … I suspect more to be revealed on that in subsequent episodes)
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 Mar 2020, 11:52

I have now watched the season. One thing that is interesting is the continued mystery around the central messiah figure. The story is told from the perspective of individuals around the messiah figure. We ride the roller coaster of belief with them from wanting to believe, to euphoria that it could all be real, and then to be disappointed and disillusioned (either because new information comes out that casts doubt on the messiah figures divine origins or because the character's expectations of what the messiah would do went unmet).

For example, in the show the origin of the messiah figure is a mystery. We do not even know his name. Later we learn a little of his backstory and he came from a family with a brother and mother, studied and went to college. Does that mean that he isn't divine? I think this happened to Jesus as well. He was rejected by some that said things like "Can anything good come from Nazareth?" or "Isn't this the carpenter's son?"

There also are a number of miracles presented. With each miracle there is a tension. There is enough implausibility that those wanting to believe can see the miracle and there is enough of coincidence and scientific explanation to explain away the miracles for those disinclined to believe.

Divine character, mystic holy man, or flat out con man - The Netflix show Messiah keeps you guessing.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Mar 2020, 12:35

Roy wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 11:52
Divine character, mystic holy man, or flat out con man - The Netflix show Messiah keeps you guessing.
I agree, and I think it may have been very much the same in the time of Jesus.

I don't want to spoil anything for anybody, so SPOILER ALERT STOP READING NOW, I thought the faith crisis aspect as demonstrated by the minister was an excellent analogy. He clearly had demonstrated faith and belief until near the end, but what did he end up doing?

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 Mar 2020, 09:09

DarkJedi wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 12:35
I don't want to spoil anything for anybody, so SPOILER ALERT STOP READING NOW, I thought the faith crisis aspect as demonstrated by the minister was an excellent analogy. He clearly had demonstrated faith and belief until near the end, but what did he end up doing?
Roy wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 11:52
The story is told from the perspective of individuals around the messiah figure. We ride the roller coaster of belief with them from wanting to believe, to euphoria that it could all be real, and then to be disappointed and disillusioned (either because new information comes out that casts doubt on the messiah figures divine origins or because the character's expectations of what the messiah would do went unmet).
I agree. Some of those that fell the hardest from unmet expectations, disillusionment, and faith crisis were those that had believed the most and made large sacrifices based on that belief.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 02 Mar 2020, 20:57

I just started watching it. The thought came to me: maybe he's the antiChrist?

Roy

Post by Roy » 03 Mar 2020, 10:18

Minyan Man wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 20:57
:o :o :o

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 03 Mar 2020, 10:20

Minyan Man wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 20:57
I suppose that's possible. I can't wait for season 2!

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 03 Mar 2020, 11:06

The story does brings up an interesting premise: If you came face to face with Jesus Christ, how would you know that he was
the son of God? In the account in the NT, it appears that very few people really knew who he was even after the resurrection.

Would he wear a suit & tie?
Would he have short hair?
Would he be clean shaven?
Would he be surrounded by angels?

Would it be something in His countenance?
What in His countenance would give him away?