Where There’s Hope - by Elizabeth Smart

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Roadrunner

Where There’s Hope - by Elizabeth Smart

Post by Roadrunner » 07 Oct 2018, 14:06

General Conference is taking most of our attention this weekend, but I wanted to share about a book that I finished reading between sessions.

Elizabeth Smart published a second book earlier this year called Where There’s Hope - Healing, Moving Forward, and Never Giving Up. I highly recommend it as one of the most touching and uplifting books I’ve read in a while.

The book is a series of interviews by Elizabeth Smart with various people who experienced life changing difficulties. She weaves her own experiences from her abduction but that is secondary. There are interviews with people who are victims of wars, human trafficking, cancer, drunk driving, suicide, illness, and discrimination. However her questions to the interviewee focus on healing and forgiving.

For anyone struggling with moving forward after being wronged in some way, I highly recommend this book. I struggle with forgiving people or institutions or ourselves who wronged me in some way - as have every one of us. I have a few more tools and perspectives to help me through this.

LookingHard

Re: Where There’s Hope - by Elizabeth Smart

Post by LookingHard » 08 Oct 2018, 04:17

I just read it a few weeks ago and I would agree. I am glad that she keeps poking at a few things within the church that need to change. Church members really feel sympathy for her, so she has their ear. Plus she speaks/writes very well. I am glad she didn't leave the church as this would discount her message.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 08 Oct 2018, 08:16

I really liked her previous book:
My Story
. I have quoted her in talks I've given at church.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 Oct 2018, 12:46

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9025

Over the last while I have become a great admirer of her, because of the wisdom she displays and ability to turn her life around.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 08 Oct 2018, 14:35

It's very inspirational to have someone go through such unimaginable things...and come out with something positive to offer help to others.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 08 Oct 2018, 22:40

It's on my reading list. Thanks for giving it high praise. Her story has been and continues to teach and inspire me. This is one area where I believe God really did watch over the experience.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman