Believer (HBO)

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
DarkJedi

Believer (HBO)

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Jul 2018, 21:28

The documentary about Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons. I watched it and liked it. A major premise is that we need more voices and I agree. I also cried at a couple of the teen suicide stories. Even if the Utah higher suicide rate has not actually increased or is not due to the church's LGBTQ stance, even one is one too many.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Re: Believer (HBO)

Post by LookingHard » 06 Jul 2018, 08:01

I don't have an HBO subscription, but I may just join HBOgo for a month so I can watch this on my computer.

BeJoyful

Post by BeJoyful » 06 Jul 2018, 09:19

LookingHard wrote:I don't have an HBO subscription, but I may just join HBOgo for a month so I can watch this on my computer.
That's what I did. They have a 2 week free trial.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BeJoyful

Post by BeJoyful » 06 Jul 2018, 09:45

DarkJedi wrote:The documentary about Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons. I watched it and liked it. A major premise is that we need more voices and I agree. I also cried at a couple of the teen suicide stories. Even if the Utah higher suicide rate has not actually increased or is not due to the church's LGBTQ stance, even one is one too many.
I think regardless of policies, the people within Utah need to be asking why the rate is higher (according to WHO it has increased, I'm not sure what other statistics there are to give a different view).

I think anytime an organization makes a stance, its members use that stance as permission to be hateful- we see it in political parties too.

This attitude influences so much of church culture, especially in areas with a dense population of LDS. I've seen it in my own circle, with people I love.

When the news article recently came out about family search enabling same sex marriage to be recorded, one of my family members (along with several other people) commented on the article saying they didn't believe it and wouldn't believe it until they heard the first presidency comment on it.

In Believer, Dan Reynolds claimed that the LoveLoud event wasn't selling tickets, when other Imagine Dragons concerts have sold out so quickly. After the church released a statement in support of the concert, ticket sales went way up.

I've felt this same need for 'permission' from the church in the past. I think the church has been making improvements in recommending love, but there are many members who will continue to give themselves permission to be bigoted as long as policies and doctrine conflict with that recommendation for love towards our LGBTQ brothers and sisters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk