David O McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
Ann

Re: David O McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism

Post by Ann » 29 Apr 2018, 19:57

I think I got this from a Greg Prince interview and it has stuck with me. He said that instead of a “let them obey” attitude towards the membership, McKay’s was “let them grow.”
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 01 May 2018, 14:47

I believe President McKay is the most underrated church leader.

It was he that first tackled the priesthood ban seriously. He failed in getting an African exemption but succeeded in opening up our temples to non-African blacks such as Fijians.

I love the cake story!

McKay also made the church global in a way not seen before through temples in Europe and NZ.

I'm also probably related to him so I'm biased.

I won't completely diss McConkie though. I think he was trying to give LDS doctrine the kind of rigor and certitude to be found in the Catholic Church.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 01 May 2018, 18:57

SamBee wrote:
01 May 2018, 14:47
Agreed. I think many today would be shocked by (and like) his leadership style.
SamBee wrote:
I won't completely diss McConkie though. I think he was trying to give LDS doctrine the kind of rigor and certitude to be found in the Catholic Church.
The same McConkie that labeled it the great and abominable church? :-)

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 May 2018, 05:46

LookingHard wrote:
01 May 2018, 18:57
SamBee wrote:
Agreed. I think many today would be shocked by (and like) his leadership style.
SamBee wrote:
The same McConkie that labeled it the great and abominable church? :-)
It's interesting the ways in which Mormonism has emulated it. We have popes, cathedrals, and a Vatican of sorts. We even have a Blessed Virgin Mary lurking in the wings.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Willhewonder

Post by Willhewonder » 07 Jul 2018, 19:46

I read this book and couldn't put it down. President McKay was the Church President of my youth. I was so excited to learn of his criticisms of Mormon Doctrine. Also the story about why all those baptism in Central America dried up just as I arrived there on my mission.

I met him when I was a young man. My grandfather worked in the Church Office Building and he took me up to his office one day. After he showed his office to me, he asked if I would like to meet the Prophet. I was excited to, but had mixed emotions. I was having some young man problems and I was just sure that President McKay would take one look at me and know all about it. But I couldn't say no!!! I can't remember whether my grandfather made a call, or left for a short time, but presently President David O. McKay came into the room we were in. He was in a wheel chair. My grandfather encouraged me to go shake his hand, which I tentatively did. I only regret that the thrill of meeting him was so tinged with guilt. He was very kind and gracious to me.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 10 Jul 2018, 13:30

Thanks for sharing the experience. Interesting you got to meet him at a young age.

I also liked the book and how a strong leader was able to set a tone, even overlook things that weren't important in order to love others more deeply or focus on the right things, such as the story where he wanted a coke and was told they only had cups with Coke on it that would reveal he was drinking caffeinated soda. Good stories.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."