Confessions of a Sociopath

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SamBee

Confessions of a Sociopath

Post by SamBee » 22 Jan 2018, 06:29

I have noticed this book has been getting some quite heavy promotion recently, which has reminded me of it.

The author - who uses a pen name - relates her experiences of being a sociopath.

Two points stuck out:

* She has an LDS background. I picked this up early on. I may not be BIC, but I have been around long enough to have developed enough of whatever the Mormon equivalent of gaydar/spidey sense is. It was no surprise when she mentioned this specifically later on.

* She is bisexual, or at least points out sociopaths tend to be, particularly when they want to further their own ends (or get their ends away). She never relates this back to the LDS as far as I can tell.

What may be of interest to people here is her discussion of faking sincerity. As you know, this is unfortunately very common in the LDS, where people say this to stay in the good books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessio ... _Sociopath
Last edited by SamBee on 22 Jan 2018, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Re: Confessions of a Sociopath

Post by SamBee » 22 Jan 2018, 06:34

Interview with her here -

https://www.psychologytoday.com/article ... -sociopath
I was not a victim of child abuse, and I am not a murderer or a criminal. I have never skulked behind prison walls; I prefer mine to be covered in ivy. I am an accomplished attorney and law professor, a well-respected young academic who regularly writes for law journals and advances legal theories. I donate 10 percent of my income to charity and teach Sunday school for the Mormon Church. I have a close circle of family and friends whom I love and who very much love me. Does this sound like you? Recent estimates say that one in every 25 people is a sociopath. But you're not a serial killer, never imprisoned? Most of us aren't. Only 20 percent of male and female prison inmates are sociopaths, although we are probably responsible for about half of all serious crimes committed. Nor are most sociopaths incarcerated. In fact, the silent majority of sociopaths live freely and anonymously, holding down jobs, getting married, having children. We are legion and diverse.
What Is Evil, Really?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a sociopath's dream. Mormons believe that everyone has the potential to be godlike—I believe this includes me. Every being is capable of salvation; my actions are what matters, not my ruthless thoughts, not my nefarious motivations. Everyone is a sinner, and I never felt that I was outside this norm.

When I attended Brigham Young—where students were even more trusting than the average Mormon—there were myriad opportunities for scamming. I stole from the lost and found, saying I lost a book, but then I would take the "found" book to the bookstore and sell it. Or, I'd take an unlocked bike that sat in the same place for days. Finders, keepers.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Jan 2018, 06:37

Paradoxes are fascinating.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 22 Jan 2018, 12:10

Fascinating book. It was recommended to me a couple of years ago by my aunt who is LDS and a counselor. She said that in her experience what this book says rings true on many levels. The thing that stuck with me was how many people meet the clinical definition of sociopath. The 4% figure means that every ward with 200 active members probably has 8-10 sociopaths at church on a given Sunday, some of whom are probably in leadership positions. Also they are very convincing and difficult to identify which makes it a little unsettling.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 22 Jan 2018, 13:28

Roadrunner wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 12:10
Fascinating book. It was recommended to me a couple of years ago by my aunt who is LDS and a counselor. She said that in her experience what this book says rings true on many levels. The thing that stuck with me was how many people meet the clinical definition of sociopath. The 4% figure means that every ward with 200 active members probably has 8-10 sociopaths at church on a given Sunday, some of whom are probably in leadership positions. Also they are very convincing and difficult to identify which makes it a little unsettling.
Still, there are probably good and bad sociopaths. Some choose the right out of a kind of duty and the others are the really nasty kind. With some it will be a kind of lack, but with others malice.

Some research suggests that full-blown sociopathy may be triggered by an abusive childhood. If you don't have that, then the genes which give you it won't be activated.

I think that a lot of the genuinely nasty types won't tend to stay in Mormonism if it isn't their traditional background. Why? There are bigger fish to fry elsewhere. So that 4% figure may actually be lower outside Wasatch Front.

It is suggested socio- and psychopaths (whatever the difference is and I'm not entirely sure) are found at the top of many companies at political groups. I suspect this is true. I suspect Ayn Rand, for example, was one.

If you had the choice of big bucks or doing an unpaid calling, and you had few scruples, which would you go for?