Looking for book recommendations about BY

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
shethinksdeep

Looking for book recommendations about BY

Post by shethinksdeep » 07 Nov 2017, 09:30

Do any of you have recommendations for a good biography about Brigham Young that you would recommend? Something reminiscent of Rough Stone Rolling or No Man Knows My History? Thanks in advance!

LookingHard

Re: Looking for book recommendations about BY

Post by LookingHard » 07 Nov 2017, 11:11

I asked this some time ago in an online group and was told there wasn't exactly a "Brigham Young" equivalent of RSR,

It was suggested "Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet - John Turner", but I have not read it. It is on my list, but I have lost interest in really digging into BY as I just don't care for him as to me he didn't seem to be very caring of others and had an extremely high opinion of himself and his abilities. (biting my tongue not to compare him to any current political leaders - dang, I bit so hard my tongue is bleeding :roll: ).

shethinksdeep

Post by shethinksdeep » 07 Nov 2017, 12:10

LookingHard wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:11
I asked this some time ago in an online group and was told there wasn't exactly a "Brigham Young" equivalent of RSR,

It was suggested "Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet - John Turner", but I have not read it. It is on my list, but I have lost interest in really digging into BY as I just don't care for him as to me he didn't seem to be very caring of others and had an extremely high opinion of himself and his abilities. (biting my tongue not to compare him to any current political leaders - dang, I bit so hard my tongue is bleeding :roll: ).
I can relate. I haven't really dug deep into Brigham Young yet either, but I figured its about time, and that I ought to in order to have a better understanding of how he influenced the trajectory of the church. I will add your book suggestion to my list. Thank you so much - I appreciate it!

dande48

Post by dande48 » 07 Nov 2017, 21:12

I'll have to check out that John Turner book, sometime. Thanks LH.

It might be hard to dig into BY the same way as Bushman delved into JS with "A Rough Stone Rolling". Joseph Smith was a complicated, hard to figure out man. A lot of his history is jumbled together from obscure accounts, and a lot of events are hard to make heads or tails of. With Brigham Young, a lot of information is out there, indesputible and plain to see. I don't think any further research would change my mind on his character.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

shethinksdeep

Post by shethinksdeep » 08 Nov 2017, 18:48

dande48 wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 21:12
I'll have to check out that John Turner book, sometime. Thanks LH.

It might be hard to dig into BY the same way as Bushman delved into JS with "A Rough Stone Rolling". Joseph Smith was a complicated, hard to figure out man. A lot of his history is jumbled together from obscure accounts, and a lot of events are hard to make heads or tails of. With Brigham Young, a lot of information is out there, indesputible and plain to see. I don't think any further research would change my mind on his character.
It sounds like the Turner book is the way to go, thanks!